Please sign in to post.

Scotland in November

Heading to Scotland for 5 days in November with my sister. Tough year with family stuff and we just want/need to get away. Together we've gone to Italy several times with a full itinerary but this time we're thinking of just going slow and seeing less, especially because of the weather. I'm thinking of staying in Edinburgh and doing a day trip to Inverness but don't want to miss anything major. What is a must see place in Scotland?

Posted by
2367 posts

Loved Edinburgh,the view at night looking up at castle is amazing. Be sure to go to the Royal Yacht and Mary King's Close. It is one of my favorite cities!

Posted by
5678 posts

Just remember in your planning that in Edinburgh has sunrise at 7:30 on November 1 and the sun sets at 4:30. So, I would recommend that you do a day trip to Stirling. You can visit the Castle and Argyll's Lodging. You can get there by train. The history is wonderful and there is a recently re-done Renaissance Palace. If you're ambitious and can figure out the local bus schedule, go out to Bannockburn. We're close to the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn where the Scot's defeated those nasty English. Alternatively, you could see if there is public transit to the Wallace Memorial which gives chapter and verse on the Battle of Stirling Bridge of Braveheart fame. In Edinburgh, the Castle is the premiere attraction, but the Royal Mile has other sites to visit. I like Gladstone's Land, The Lady Stair House, Holyrood Palace, and Holyrood, the new parliament. The Museum of Scotland is wonderful. Further afield, is the Royal Yacht Britannia and the Royal Botanic Gardens which have glass houses for dreary, rainy days. I think too that the National Gallery is worth time as well as the galleries near Leith Water, The Modern Gallery and The Dean which is now Modern Gallery 2. I really like the Georgian House in Newtown. Check out Sandy's Bells for music; Creelers for Seafood; and read some Ian Rankin to learn about Edinburgh's dark side. Pam

Posted by
1448 posts

I agree with Pamela exactly...having done much the same trip...a lot of historic stuff in Stirling as it was the old capital of Scotland. Save Inverness for a Summer trip when you can go outdoors...it's farther away from Edinburgh by road then you might think.