Please sign in to post.

Scotland

We are traveling to Scotland on June 9-25. We will spend 3 nites in Edinburg, then rent a car and go to Inverness, Aberdeen and Pitlochry and then a week in Falkland at a house, then one nite in Edinburg to fly home. Any advice, suggestions or recommendations would be most helpful. I am booking B&B's tomorrow. Thanks.

Posted by
484 posts

I don't know if it's too late to help you. Here's a few suggestions. If you want simple and clean accomodations in good locations Edinburgh - Kenvie Guest House - easy and cheap bus connection to Royal Mile. Sights: The Castle, Holyrood Palace, Britannia, St. Giles are the biggies. Inverness: Castle View Guest House (lots of steps up to room),super nice owner who lives on premise and is most helpful. Sights: Loch Ness Boat Trip (1/2 day) and Culloden battlefield. Nice town to walk around in, good for restaurants and catching-up with laundry.
I am afraid I can't help you with the other areas of Scotland - haven't been to those places.

Posted by
2081 posts

hi, i was there last year. i stayed at the Easyhotel on Prices street since it was a nice central location. what was mentioned above is what you can do in the time you have. I took a bus tour to Loch NEss and it covered, Inverness and Aberdeen iirc. A few other towns too. happy trails.

Posted by
5678 posts

I too stayed at Castle View B&B and found it very convenient. I stayed at the Green Park Hotel in Pitlochry. It was very nice. It is large and on the edge of town, but I was able to walk into town easily. I did take a taxi to the Festival Theatre, which I highly recommend. The Blair Atholl distillery tour was good. You can walk along the Tay back to the Green Park. THere is a formal garden near the Festival Theatre that is interesting. It has all the flowers and plants that primarily Scottish Explorers brought back to the UK in the 18th and 19th centuries. When you are in Inverness do visit Culloden Battlefield. There is a good visitor center. I also liked the Clava Cairns that you can walk to in about 25 minutes from the Battlefield, or drive if you have a car. I loved the gardens at Cawdor Castle. the Castle is good. There are wonderful views of the Moray Firth from Fort George. Go to Chanory Point on the north side of the Firth to look for Dolphins. I like the Mustard Seed for good food. Make a reservation. Leakey's is a fascinating bookstore. Hootenanny is great for live music and pub food. Pam

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to the three of you who replied. I'm keeping all your suggestions. Actually, I booked a B&B called The Pottery House in Inverness. It had numerous positive comments. I'm sure all your suggestions are good and I would definitely check them if I needed to at this point. Your sites to visit sound great. I'm still not 100% signed up for a place in Aberdeen. The Old Mill sounds nice, but they aren't responding. I will respond again with some other things I booked, but I'd still love to hear other suggestions. This trip is a big deal - we are celebrating our 45th anniversary.