Please sign in to post.

Scotland/England September 2011

We will be traveling in the UK during Sept 2011. How is the weather at that time of year? We are vegetarian--any restaurant suggestions?

Posted by
571 posts

Note that Indian food restaurants in Britain are like Chinese food restaurants in the states. They are found everywhere and range from cheap take-away to fancy sit-down establishments. You can find many delicious vegetarian meals on their menus.

Posted by
5678 posts

Judy, The weather is UK weather. ; ) It can be lovely, but you should always plan for rain. You just have to not let a little mist and little softness in the weather slow you down. And it won't if you come prepared. I prefer to travel with a Goretex jacket with a hood. That leaves my hands free for cameras and other things. You can always buy an umbrella there if you need one. It's hard to make restaurant recommendations when it's the whole UK under consideration. ; ) Most good restaurants include vegetarian options. Here's a link for Taste of Scotland. Enter vegetarian in the directory page for a list of restaurants. http://www.taste-of-scotland.com I have eaten at the George and it was very good although I didn't order vegetarian. If you search on vegetarian restaurants UK you'll get additional sites that list restaurants. Pam

Posted by
2788 posts

you can go to Rick Steves 2011 tours elsewhere on this site, click on England in 14 days tour, look on the right hand column and you should see something like "tour weather", click there and it will give you weather in different places during different months. Be sure to get RS guide book for lots of excellent information on England. I found it most helpful.

Posted by
37 posts

I was in Scotland this September and of 14 days, we only had 2 where it rained enough to be "yucky". There was rain other days but by the time I got my coat out, it had pretty much stopped. Having said that, I certainly wouldn't tell you that this is what you can expect when you go next year. Take a jacket with a hood and carry it with you. As for vegetarian restaurants, it will depend on where you are going. Selection is better in larger centres.

Posted by
409 posts

Were in the UK from 13-24 September....average daily highs around 65-68 deg., lows around 52. Only a couple of sprinkles the whole time, but I know we lucked out. The day we left, it poured, and the last B&B we stayed at reported that it had turned chilly and rainy. Bottom line: Anybody's guess!

Posted by
993 posts

I've traveled to the UK many times in September and I always take a waterproof jacket long enuf to cover my tush. My jacket is from LL Bean. I go prepared but have never run into really bad weather.