Please sign in to post.

Scotland

Is there a scheduled trip that would be easier for a person who is not an invalid, but is slower and needs to rest more often. My husband would love to return to Scotland. He is wrestling with cancer.

Posted by
291 posts

We are using [email protected] in September. Highly recommended for just your reason. Have had phone conversations, and he has a wonderful itinerary. He will pick us up at airport, and made wonderful suggestions for lodging. Good luck-and happy travels!

Posted by
5678 posts

Stefanie, I took my nearly 80 year-old parents to Scotland a number of years ago and just before we went he got a splinter in his foot which just didn't get fixed right and so he was moving much slower. I found that having a car made all the difference. I did find that when we walked placeswhich you can not avoidI had to slow down otherwise my mom and were 20 yards ahead of him in no time. So, even if you go with a guide or tour remember to slow yourself down. ; ) There are lots of places you can visit in Scotland. Does he have any particularly places that he wants to go? Also, while he's not in a wheel chair you might want to just check out some of the many sites that detail the access for the disabled. At least you know that the particular site likely has easy car access or a smooth path which is so much easier when you're moving slowly! (Spoken from my recent experiences negotiating NYC sidewalks with a torn meniscus!) During my recent trip to the UK I tried to make sure my room was at least on the first (our second) floor. Historic Scotland Visit Scotland Accommodation Visit Scotland Partnership Undiscovered Scotland This last one gives some history on getting around Scotland. BTW it's a great online resource for exploring Scotland. Check out the rest of the their website. I think you'll find it helpful. Pam

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the advice. I really don't want to drive as it would be too difficult to enjoy the trip myself. We took a Rick Steve's Scotland tour years ago and really enjoyed it so I thought there might be something similar. The pace would be a little brisk for his condition. He is not in a wheel chair, but does need to rest quite a bit. Will look into the tips.

Posted by
3428 posts

You wouldn't have to drive to do an independent trip. The trains are great and easy to use. You can set your own pace and see exactly what you want to see. I'd suggest 3-4 days in Edinburgh, train to Aviemore or Blair Athol(for a bit of rural Scotland), the train to Inverness for 4-7 days. Add 3-4 days in Glasgow if you like. No- you don't get to see everything, but you do get to see a great deal!!!

Posted by
72 posts

I don't know if it would fit your situation or not but I can't recommend Rabbies Trail Burners enough. They do day trips as well as multi-day trips. Their buses hold a max of 16 and while they make a lot of stops you usually don't have to walk any further than you want. Check their website out and see if they have anything that will fit you. They are also good about answering questions by e-mail.

Posted by
961 posts

Something a bit different from the usual tour and probably a bit easier than sitting on a bus...there are now a number of companies that do small boat cruises (about 50 passengers) around the sea lochs and islands of the West Coast of Scotland. Google Scottish Coastal cruises and you will get the web sites with all the info. Of course you won't get to the inland sites but the scenery will be magnificent and you will probably get at least one island distillery tour......