Please sign in to post.

Scotland

I will be traveling in Scotland in mid October independently for five days. I plan to land in Edinburgh. I will need to use bus or rail. Any suggestions as to day trips from Edinburgh? Also any suggestions for B&B's based on experience

Posted by
5678 posts

Hi Carol, you might want to search on this topic as it's been discussed fairly recently. There are some great day trips from Edinburgh. In addition to rail and bus, look into some tours. They will take you more efficiently to some of the places. Glasgoweasy trip by train. You can then travel within the city by subway. See the Cathedral, the new transport museum or go out to Kelvingrove in the west. Stirling: easy trip by train. See the Castle and the other in town sites. Harder to get to Bannockburn, but there is a bus and the visitor's center has recently been redone. The Castle is one of the best. Linlithgow: Train to Royal Palace and nice small town. St. Andrew: train and then a short bus ride to the home of Golf. Check out the castle and the graveyard as well. Borders: this is where I would recommend that you try the tours. There are lots of sites in the borders and a tour may be the most efficient way. Sites include Abbeys (Kelso, Drysdale, Melrose, Jedburgh) Rosyln Chapel, Abbotsford, Traqhair House and more. Dunkeld: walking in Perthshire. It you want a bit of the Highlands, but don't want a long bus tour, go to Dunkeld and walk to the Hermitage or other trails Tayside. Check out the Cathedral. Pam

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks Pam! Those are all great ideas and I will check them out!It helps to hear from those who have been down the road ahead of me!

Posted by
484 posts

Check-out Rabbies Tours. There are one day tours you can sign up for as an individual. Rabbies limits its tours to 16 guests. Based in Edinburgh, reasonably priced. For B&B's, you may want to check-out Rick Steve's guide book. Kenvie Guest House in Edinburgh is recommended and has a good reputation for clean and comfy. Not fancy, but tasteful and friendly. You can look Kenvie up online as well.

Posted by
15 posts

I did check out Rabbies Tours and I am excited about the possibilities! Thanks for that tidbit! And the lodging suggestion.

Posted by
484 posts

Hi Carol!
I forgot to tell you. If you stay at Kenvie Guest House on Kilmaurs Road - you will probably get the best rate by booking directly with Kenvie Guest House (Dorothy Vidler). You can email Kenvie directly for a quote. Really nice people to get information from. Have a fantastic trip to Edinburgh!