Please sign in to post.

Scotland

Is Scotland outside of the cities and St. Andrews hopeless for vegetarians? Our son eats eggs and dairy, but no fish, etc.
We are thinking of going to Arran for a couple of nights and doing some hiking. Alternatively we might go up to Kyle of L. (partly for the gorgeous train ride), also hopefully for some hiking). Recommendations welcome as to where to go--keep in mind we do not like to stay at a different place each night or be in transit; we prefer to stay in one place awhile. We'll mainly be in Edinburgh.

Posted by
3551 posts

The B&B's are great for breakfast, eggs, yoghurt etc. And Europe is much better than USA restaurants to have a veg. option on menu. Also Indian food restaurant or take away is quite popular and you may find many veg options there. if all else fails go to grocery mart and get your vegs.

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks. I know in the cities the Indian restaurants will be fine, but I worried about the small towns and hinterland. You think it's fine there, too, say, on the isle of Arran?

Posted by
3428 posts

Does he eat fish/seafood (some vegetarians do)? If so, he will LOVE Scotland!!! Also, plenty of fresh vegies, lots of good cheeses, etc.
For some good walks/hikes and great scenery and moutains, check out Aviemore (easily reached by train from Edinburgh and Inverness).

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks, Charlotte. I'll check into Aviemore! Thanks for that suggestion. No, I knew he'd be fine if only he'd eat seafood, something I look forward to myself, but he won't eat it. Loves cheese, though. We'll do fine getting food from grocery stores, but I hope there will be places even in small towns with veg. entrees.

Posted by
177 posts

My son is a vegan so I know what you face. Good Luck. happycow.net might be of some help.

Posted by
5678 posts

Marcia, There are wonderful cheeses in Scotland. Here's a great link for vegetarian options in Scotland (and the UK). http://www.vegetarianvisitor.co.uk/scotland.html I am sure that he will have more options that those listed here, but it's a start for you and him. From what I've seen, you can always ask about a vegetarian option. There are indeed local vegetarians. ; ) I just checked the sample menu at The Anderson in Fortrose where I've often stayed. Take a peek. Starters: Sweet Potato & Chestnut Soup A lively broth of fresh sweet potatoes puréed with Italian chestnuts 2nd option: Persia Meets Paris Beaded French brie gently fried, served w/pecan & cranberry chutney 3rd option: Cypriot Tartlet An individual tart of artichoke, lemon, olives and halloumi cheese Mains: Baked Stuffed Aubergine Fresh aubergine stuffed with spinach, pine nuts & roasted peppers, topped with melted Ullapool smoked cheddar cheese 2nd option: Chili Sin Carne Anne's zesty meat-free Tex-Mex chili and black beans, served with grated cheese, avocado, tomato and tortilla chips over rice More Options: Brussels Salad Fresh field greens and blue cheese, toasted walnuts & croutons, dressed w/our mustard vinaigrette
Goat Cheese Salad w/Roast Beet Root Sautéed goat's cheese and roasted beet root on fresh field greens, dressed w/our mustard vinaigrette Grilled Flatbread Tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and pesto sauce on flatbread hot from the flame grill Go here http://www.theanderson.co.uk/sampmenu.pdf to check out the deserts and fish and seafood options! BTW The Anderson was not listed on the Vegetarian site. Pam