Please sign in to post.

Scotland

We are spending 13 days in Scotland, May 24 to June 6. The first 2 nights will be in Edinburgh and then we have a week timeshare in Aberfeldy. Then we have 4 nights left, but want to spend last night in Edinburgh before flyhing out early morning. We do have a rental car. Is it reasonable to make day trips to Aviemore, to Inverness, to Loch Ness? How long is the drive from Aberfeldy to Oban? We are thinking of spending 2 nights in Oban, doing Isle of Mull and Iona. Any info is helpful.
I'm having trouble booking a room June 5 in Edinburgh using Rick Steves' book. Any suggestions? Are there plenty of B&B's in most areas?

Posted by
3428 posts

We have always stayed at the Royal British Hotel in Edinburgh. It is across Princes St. from Waverly Train Station. Very convient for the train or the bus to the airport. Not a b&b, but a very good place to stay- excellent breakfasts.
By the way, Aviemore is a great place to overnight. We LOVE the Caingorm Hotel. It looks like a miniture castle outside and a hunting lodge inside. AND their restaurant serves some of the best food ever.

Posted by
484 posts

Edinburgh - try Kenvie Guest House or Belford house. Both are a 10-15 minute public bus ride to city center. Off Dalkeith road, near Common Wealth swimming pool. Both are your traditional, though not fancy B&Bs. Oban - http://www.oban.org.uk/content/listing Many B&B type choices in Oban.

Posted by
5678 posts

It's a good two hours to Inverness from Aberfeldy. You could certainly do a day trip up to see Culloden, and then stop off in Inverness or visit Fort George and Clava Cairns, but I'm not sure I would combine it with Loch Ness or Aviemore. Aviemore's attractions, for me, is the Cairngorms and doing some walks by the lochs in the mountains. (Check out the Rothiemurchus.) You could do a separate trip to Loch Ness. Urqhart Castle is great. You could do a very long drive down the north side and back across on the A86 to to the A9 and south to Aberfeldy. Let me tell you about some closer options. The Trossachs are not that far from Aberfeldy. Drive out Glen Lyon. Go to Killlin and see the falls. Go Pitlochry and visit the Explorer's Garden. Check out Blair Castle. Go to Dunkeld and see the the Cathedral and the wee houses. If you are a Peter Pan fan, drive further east to Kirriemuir and see James Barrie's home. Eat dinner at Ailean Chraggan. Take the Birk's of Aberfeldy walk. Explore the Cranog. Drive over the mountain to Loch Tummell. Pam