Please sign in to post.

Scotland

In March I asked about Scotland and recieved a lot of great info. I leave June 27 and have a few last minute questions. I land in Edinburgh and plan to go south to Bambough castle for the first couple days then drive to Ft. William and sight see along the way. Stay there a couple days and then head for the Isle of Skye for a couple more days and the same with Isle of Lewis. Then go to Ullapool and north to Wick. Sight seeing along the way. There is so much to see!!! What would I look for in the North. Then to Aberdeen and back to Edinburgh. I like to hike. Any advice.... ginger

Posted by
2433 posts

Can only give you advice on Edinburgh, are you planning to spend a couple of days there although it might be info you already have.

Posted by
1851 posts

We don't do long hikes when we travel. However, when we were in Fort William we had dinner at the Ben Nevis Inn. Lots of hikers were heading down from Ben Nevis - the path seems to end at the Inn / Pub.

Posted by
279 posts

There is a great website called walkhighlands that lists tons of different walks with varying gradients. Also, check out undiscoveredscotland for what look like great driving loop tours -- I am going to drive their Oban-Glencoe tour next month.

Posted by
279 posts

There is a great website called walkhighlands that lists tons of different walks with varying gradients. Also, check out undiscoveredscotland for what look like great driving loop tours -- I am going to drive their Oban-Glencoe tour next month.

Posted by
5678 posts

There are lots of hikes. How rigorous a walk are you looking for? There are coastal walks on Lewis. Ask in the TI. In Ullapool, there are some lovely walks in the hills immediately above the town. I'm sure that the TI could give advice. On Skye again there are lots of walks. The longest hike I did on Skye was from Sligachan in towards the Cuillins. You can hike in as far as you have energy. We walked in to where there was a view of Loch Curuisk. Of course, if you're fit you can climb Ben Nevis near Fort William. Or if you want to just do a wander check out Glen Nevis. I've not done much hiking in Aberdeenshire--too busy looking at castles there. If you base out of Inverness at all, Glen Afric is beautiful. Check out some of the walking sites. Walking = Hiking in the UK. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ I would recommend hiking boots. You should have a good waterproof jacket with a hood. You might want to pick up a midge hat in Edinburgh. The sports shops have them. I got one in New Town. I was also persuaded to finally buy rain pants and they are wonderful and worth it. Pam

Posted by
343 posts

We went to the Isle of Lewis last summer and did some hiking. Really beautiful part of the country. One particularly memorable hike started at Dalmore Beach on the west coast of Lewis. The beach is beautiful with cliffs jutting into the ocean and a local cemetery overlooking the beach. You walk along the cliff for a while and then cut inland a bit and then walk to the next beach which looks nothing like the first, being all rocks and boulders. Near Talbert, if you take the road going west from Talbert it turns into B887. Take that all the way to the beach at the end of that road. You can walk the beach there, but we kept driving on the sand road another 1/8 mile or so and you come to a lovely hill of wild flowers (lots of bunnies, too) overlooking the coast from which you can see more of the coast of Lewis. Great picture taking opportunity. Of course there are also the Callenish (sp?) standing stones on Lewis which are fantastic. You can just walk around them and between them--they predate the Egyptian pyramids. Lewis is desolate but beautiful too. We encountered very few tourists and found it very peaceful.

Posted by
343 posts

I forgot to mention...pick up a small booklet called Scotland Hikes or something like that. It fits in the palm of your hand so you can carry it on day hikes. It details wonderful hikes on Lewis, Harris, and Skye. That's how we found out about the hike at Dalmore beach. We also did a short hike on Skye, near Kilmuir I believe.