Please sign in to post.

RS Ireland?

Planning to go on the RS Ireland tour (in May) and wanted to know what folks thought about their trip...and to get some more ideas about what to do in the "off time". Heading to Dublin a few days before the tour and know what the book says, but wanted other ideas too. What you enjoyed doing, both on and off tour time. I have tried looking at the scrapbooks but almost all go to dead links, one I found only had drawings, not ideas or impressions...and the tour raves and review page still has July stuff on it and only asks a few questions.... This will be my second RS tour. Venice, Florence and Rome was amazing!!! And I am sure this will be too.
Thanks!

Posted by
32202 posts

Steph, The RS Ireland tour is fantastic and I really enjoyed it. Every aspect of it was wonderful - scenery, food, hotels, culture, music, historic sites and most of all the incredible Guide, who sang to the group and told some really entertaining stories (as only the Irish can)! You'll be issued a Guidebook prior to the tour, so you can have a look at each location you'll be visiting to find activities that will interest you in the "off time". I believe the Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin is now included in tours (time permitting), and that's one location I'd definitely recommend visiting. Be sure to spend some time in the Temple Bar area on your own, especially in the evenings when the Pubs are rocking. The Guinness Storehouse is interesting if you have time, but not essential (IMO). Even in May, I'd suggest packing along some light rain gear and clothing for "layering". Happy travels!

Posted by
740 posts

I did the RS tour in 2011. I've now done six RS tours and Ireland was my favorite. Great guide and great group of people. I arrived one day early and went to the Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies that night at the Brazen Head Pub. Fun event. The next day before the tour started I went to a hurling match at historic Croke Park. Definitely worth going to. They have a wonderful Gaelic Athletic Association museum inside the stadium that I wouldn't miss. The tour stopped at Kilmainham Jail on the way out of Dublin. In hindsight I wish I would have gone there on my own before the tour. I needed more time to see the exhibits. So much history there. Oh well, next trip. During the tour, I really sought out the music in our stops in Kinsale, Dingle and Galway. If you like Irish music, you are in paradise. The tour does a couple of musical events, but you can find more. I really enjoyed the group Dreams of Freedom in the Dingle Pub across from Benner's Hotel. I could have stayed there all night (in fact, I think I did). Have since bought 3 of their CD's. Your are going to have a great time in Ireland.

Posted by
135 posts

Thank you all for the tips, I am enjoying hearing about everyone's trip...mine can't get here fast enough!