Please sign in to post.

Rock of Cashel

Will be traveling to Ireland in May. We are landing in Dublin and driving to Cashel. One of the members in our group walks with the aid of a cane and has some breathing problems. From what I can see for websites and guide books, it looks like the entrance to the Rock of Cashel would be rather challenging for this person. Can anyone advise if there is an easier way to the top of the Rock?

Posted by
9363 posts

It is an uphill walk of some steepness, but if memory serves, there is some handicapped parking nearer to the entrance.

Posted by
522 posts

I believe Nancy is right about close-in HC parking. Give it a to. I really enjoyed my visit to The Rock.

Posted by
635 posts

Have them bring their handicap parking permit that hangs from the rear view mirror. According to RS Ireland, they are also usable in Ireland to avoid a ticket. If they don't currently drive or have a permit, have them get one from their doctor. You'll have many other instances in Ireland where this will come in handy.

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks for the info. He has a disabled parking sign which he will bring with him. What I'm trying to find out is there any other way of getting to the top of The Rock other than climbing the very steep hill. Even if we can park or drop him off close to the entrance, my fear is that the steepness of the regualr entrance would be too much of a challange.

Posted by
9363 posts

When you are at the entrance, where the handicapped parking is, you have already driven up the hill. The parking is just outside the gate and inside it is relatively flat. Regular parking is at the foot of the hill.

Posted by
588 posts

The handicap entrance is right at the entrance and you can drop him off. There are several places once inside where he can sit down and rest. It is fairly flat once inside. There is a nice restaurant and gift shop adjacent to the parking area.

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks guys. Sounds like my freind can experience the Rock of Cashel after all.

Posted by
416 posts

Regarding the disabled placard, rather than hanging it from the rearview mirror like you would in the states, you need to display it in the driver's side window. I was in Ireland in September with my parents and because my father has mobility issues, I researched using his placard pretty thoroughly including contacting the Gardai to be absolutely certain we would be ok.