Please sign in to post.

Rental Car In Ireland

I booked and pre-paid (522.00) my rental car on rentalcars.com prior to leaving the US for Europe and it indicated that i had insurance (3rd party liability). When i arrived at the thrifty rental car center, with my family in toe, after 10 hours of flying, i was greeted with a Thrifty rental car agent informing me that in order to rental the car i had to pay an addtional 39 euros/day (12 days)for collision insurance (which is more than the cost of renting the car!). I was never informed that this insurance was required prior to leaving (from the rentalcars.com) site and i was given no option for alternatives when i arrived in that i was pre-paid. I feel like i was given a complete bait and switch by both rentalcars.com and thrifty (and the rental agent did it with an very nice smile). I was talking to a coulpe in kenmare this morning that said they purchased a year worth of 3rd party collison insurance for 50 euros. I would like to action on this to have my money reimbursed. Are there any consumer protection agencies in ireland that can assist me?

Posted by
931 posts

Caveat Emptor. This is exactly why I rent here, and read my policy. If I don't like what I am reading I cancel and go elsewhere. When I rented my car for Ireland a few months ago, I saw that the general policy did not cover the "excess"; i.e., it did not cover the deductible for theft and collision. (in my case it was around $1300 EU) I called and asked and was told it would be another $13 EU day,that I would have to pay at the rental counter. So I did what the "couple in Kenmare" did; I bought a supplemental policy thru a UK broker that covered the theft and collision deductible, and a heck of a lot more. In fact I had to make a claim against this policy, and they promptly paid me for the $$$$ I had to spend to get my rental fixed when I put the wrong type of fuel in the car. I only paid $35 US for my supplemental policy, but if I had bought one for a year it would have been around $50 US.