Please sign in to post.

realistic drive times in Ireland

One Sunday of our June trip will be spent driving from just south of Sligo town to Letterkenny. Google Maps says it take 2.5 hours, assuming no stops. How accurate is that? And from Letterkenny to Giants Causeway on a Monday? One person told me driving takes three times longer than expected!

Posted by
484 posts

It should take you only 2 hours at the most. Sligo to Donegal Town is about 40 miles and then the same or a little less on to Letterkenny. The N 15 ,which you take all the way, is a good road. It's a scenic drive ,especially from Sligo north to Donegal Town. Stop at Drumcliffe just north of Sligo to see William Butler Yeats grave with Ben Bulben in the background. This is the most direct route but there are others. You can count on averaging about 40 mph unless you are on a four lane (dual carriageway). There are an endless number of sights of interest that are not listed in any of the guide books. Just stop in a pub for a pint and ask the any of the locals about things to see in the area. They are very proud, as well they should be, of their scenic and historic sights. This is a great part of Ireland, happily it is ignored by most American tourists.

Posted by
9369 posts

ViaMichelin shows the route mentioned by Pat as being 1 hr 30 minutes. I always add 25% to ViaMichelin's times in Ireland, so her estimate of 2 hours is about right.

Posted by
8700 posts

To be extra safe, I add 50% to viamichelin's times on secondary roads in Ireland. AA Roadwatch Ireland gives a driving time of 1hr42min for Sligo to Letterkenny.