Please sign in to post.

"Northwest 200" Northern Ireland motorcycle race

We will travel to Ireland, this next May 9-24th, 2013. I notice that the big "Northwest 200" Northern Ireland motorcycle race will also be May 12-18. We will probably be in Northern Ireland that time as well. Does anyone have any experience with this race? Will the crowds present a problem with driving around in & finding B&B lodging in Northern Ireland about this same time? I don't plan to be in the immediate area, but the general area. Is this like visiting New Orleans during Mardi Gras? Many thanks! Steve

Posted by
3263 posts

I would check the course route, expect road closures, and book B&B's in advance.

Posted by
655 posts

Some years ago we were there during the race. We were in Bushmills and were unaware of the race until we got there. Perhaps we were lucky but it didn't present any problems for us. We did get to meet some of the folks who were there to see the race - they were staying at the same B&B. They had come over, with their bikes on the ferry. In your situation I would make my plans and reserve my B&Bs. When you do, ask each one about the race in their area and exactly what you can expect. We loved northern Ireland, especially the coast, and would not miss it if we were to go again.