Please sign in to post.

Places to stay in London

It looks like our place to stay in England isn't going to work out after all. Does anyone have any places they could recommend? We would like to avoid a hostel if we could.

I have found a studio apartment in Kensington for $75 GBP per night (through vrbo.com). Hotels like Holiday in Express are averaging about 85 GBP a night.

Since this has become an unexpected expense we are trying to be reasonable, but I can hear a lot of laughter that reasonably priced in London is hard to find!

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
8700 posts

Check the Arran House Hotel, a B&B in Bloomsbury. The rate for a double is £82, but it includes a full English breakfast and the kitchen is at your disposal until 23:00. There also are some dorm-style rooms at hostel-like prices.

For budget accommodations try easyHotel. There are several locations in London.

Posted by
632 posts

Jill, I think the rate you have been quoted in Kensington is a good one and maybe you should commit before it is gone. The only caution is that you should question whether there are additional charges above and beyond the 75 GBP they are quoting...not unusual for VRBO owners to tack on cleaning charges and other incidentals...

Posted by
50 posts

Here is a link to what I found on VRBO. http://www.vrbo.com/181979

After using VRBO on our trip to Hawaii I always look for linen charges and cleaning charges. What I am thinking is at the bottom it quotes a studio which is 75 GBP per night, so I am really wondering if those pictures are for just a general apartment or the actual one we might stay in.

Its ran by a company called Casteltown Lettings. There is a 150 GBP deposit at the beginning for any damage down while we are there, but it doesn't state any funds will be deducted for cleaning.

I have come to realize sometimes things are too good to be true!

Posted by
990 posts

Easyhotel is clean as a whistle, but truly no frills--some of the rooms have no windows! Check out some reviews first. We stayed for two nights and were OK with it because the price was right, but more than that would be trying.

Posted by
780 posts

In December, when I go to London, I'll be staying at easyhotel in Earls Ct (near kensington, there is also an easyhotel in South kensington, I believe) for 25 pounds a night, VAT included. It is the small room no window, but the reviews are great as they seem to be very clean and highly regulated to make sure things are running well, air, hot water, etc...
There are options for 5 pounds more for a window, and its a slightly bigger room.

Im sure it wouldnt work for a family, or maybe the bigger rooms would, but the easyhotels seem to be in decently safe areas and for $47 a night in London, its a great deal for someone solo like me who just needs a clean bed and a hot shower!

There is also an Easyhotel in the Victoria and also Paddington areas for 35 - 39 pounds a night. Still a good deal!!

Posted by
215 posts

One of best resources is Londtown.com which has a wide variety of budget hotels in various areas.
We prefer the Bayswater area because of nearby tube stops, restaurants, Hyde Park and Mark & Spensers
store.

Posted by
50 posts

I researched a lot yesterday about the EasyHotels. I am leaning towards booking with them. I understand the accomodations will be small and tight.

My only questions is has anyone stayed in one with someone who was about 6'4"? A lot of what I have read on trip advisor is that its small. I just wonder how small and if we can do that small for five days!

Posted by
3551 posts

Look into centrally located Garden Court Hotel in RS Bk. I stayed there w/ a shared bath it was great and reasonble w/ brfast too. Some college dorms are avail during summer months alsoIe. London school of Economics.

Posted by
632 posts

Jill, I followed the web address you provided and then at the VRBO site, they had several links to the properties (note that they say that all units are individually owned)...if you go to this web site, you will see more information and I believe that the pictures you will see there are of the Studio they are talking about (or at least representative of the studio). It looks very nice, certainly better than any London hotel that I have booked in the last 4 years in this price range.

http://www.vrbo.com/global/siteFrame.asp?mainurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.castletownhouse.co.uk%2f&returnurl=/181979

This second link tells you a lot about the neighborhood, including restaurants, points of interest (maps provided), bars and other kinds of entertainment...Castletown does a really good job of explaining the who, what why and where.

http://boat-site.co.uk/page_1191449377890.html

Posted by
3580 posts

I've used Londontown.com and Eurocheapo.com to find budget lodging. I stayed at Morgan Guest House near Victoria last fall. It's nice and the rates are reasonable. I'm most likely to stay at Charlotte Guest House in West Hampstead (NW London) for a really budget place. Transportation into town is convenient and quick.

Posted by
250 posts

Good info from all. The hotels I've considered before:

Edward Lear (lots of stairs, no frills, but solid place in a good location near Oxford Street). I've stayed here, and it was great for my taste (basic, well run, good location)

The Vicarage Hotel (Kensington) - Rick Steves (and others recommendation).

Luna and Simone (Victoria) (RAVE reviews - for the price - from TripAdvisor.com. I' haven't stayed, but I will in Oct). It's rated by a LOT of people, and gets very high marks, which is unusual.

All are no frills. And were 50-60 for singles and a bit more for doubles. Those with the Bath down the hall are the best deals. Some depends on your timing and duration.

Someone also mentioned Royal Court Apartments...

Trip advisor.com will give you more reviews.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Jill!

You know when looking for accommodations I've always used a site called Rentalo.com. This site is unique because it lets you do a destination inquiry. So basically you send an inquiry to everyone they have listed in that destination that matches your criteria. It is extremely helpful as you basically just sit and wait for offers. Some of them respond really quickly.
So I hope this helps!!!

Good luck in England.. I'd love to go there!!

Posted by
32202 posts

Jill,

Have you checked all of the lodgings listed in Rick's London or England books? There are a good selection of listings there in different price ranges and in different parts of the city.

On my last visit to London, I stayed at This Hotel in the Victoria Station area, and would certainly recommend it. It's an easy walk to the station and has some great Bars and Restaurants close by.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
643 posts

The VRBO site is great, some excellent deals there if you don't need the hotel frills. We are currently holding a room reservation at base2stay in Earl's Court but may change our minds if we see a nice apartment.

Posted by
25 posts

I stayed at the Club Quarters, Trafalgar Square location and I think our total, including VAT, taxes, etc was $125 per night - and the location could not be beat. Literally steps away from Trafalger and a myriad of other attractions.

Posted by
643 posts

We just reserved an apartment in Knightsbridge through english-manner.com. I had initially contacted VRBO but the rep there was not very good and in fact the listing she referred me to was a fraud! So base2stay is out and a large apartment in Knightsbridge is in! Yay!!

Posted by
525 posts

Jill, Look at the Falcon Hotel. It is located two blocks from Paddington Train station and Underground. If you have an extended stay, they will give you a break. Very nice, personable people. Small rooms, some shared baths,full breakfast, old historic building but very conveniently located. Get off the train and walk 3 minutes to your accommodation.

Posted by
50 posts

I just want to say thanks to all of your for your suggestions on places to stay!

Our plans have changed yet again! We were supposed to be leaving the 18th of October, but my husband now has his interview/physical with the Portland Fire Dept, which is something we can not pass by.

So instead of 5 days 4 nights in London we have maybe 1 night. Thankfully my cousin can put us up for one night. But we when we go back in a couple of years I have printed this link and will look these places up again!

Thanks again!

Posted by
1 posts

Hi

How kind of you all to find us, I run Castletown House/Lettings and I can assure you, that what is in our pictures is what you get.

Currently our Large Studio is £75.00 per night, then you will find 1,2 & 3 Bed Apartments. We are just bringing on a Budget Studio at £60.00 per night

Full details are on our site www.castletownhouse.co.uk and I can assure you what you see is what you get, hope we may welcome some of you soon

Richard