Please sign in to post.

Places to stay in Bath

My husband and I will be traveling through Bath and plan to be there a couple of nights. Would anyone care to recommend a low to mid priced place to stay? Our requirements are that it be clean, have an ensuite, be convenient for walking in the town, and have parking, but it doesn't need to be fancy. We usually like small hotels, guesthouses, B&B's, etc. with a bit of charm, but luxury isn't necessary. I am also researching on sites other than this one, and always use Tripadvisor, so no need to recommend that for me. It's just that I appreciate personal recommendations from posters on the Helpline. Thanks!

Posted by
32332 posts

D.D., I stayed at This B&B on my last visit to Bath and would highly recommend it. It was in a beautiful location, easy walking distance to the sights and parking was provided. One point to note though, is that it appears to have changed ownership since I last stayed there. I'm assuming the new owners have maintained the same standards? There appears to be a charge for parking now? Happy travels!

Posted by
571 posts

DD,
My wife and I stayed at a B&B called The Bath House and liked it very much. Due to the hours we kept, we never actually met the owners but we were treated very well by the young woman who was hired to assist with the guests. The place is conveniently located midway between the Royal Crescent to the north and the Roman Baths to the south.

Posted by
687 posts

I stayed at The Henry - very convenient for both the train station and the sights, comfortable, good breakfast. Recommended!

Posted by
375 posts

Thank you for both of those recommendations. I've checked and unfortunately neither has available rooms when we need them. Someone else mentioned the Cheriton House Hotel, but hadn't stayed there so couldn't give a personal recommendation. It got pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor. Has anyone on the Helpline stayed there? EDIT: Kathy, I hadn't seen your post when I wrote this. I'll check it out. Thanks. 2nd EDIT: No availability at the Henry, either.

Posted by
3580 posts

Bath is a very popular weekend destination for Brits and others. If you can schedule your days in Bath at other times your chances of getting into a B&B or hotel will probably improve.

Posted by
409 posts

We stayed at the Badminton Villa B&B last September and really enjoyed it. A bit of walk into town (but pleasant). Wonderful breakfasts and very gracious hosts. Highly recommended!

Posted by
2433 posts

There is a great website, Smoothhound.com we have used several times with great success. Have only used it for the UK, you just type in Bath and see what comes up and then check their reviews on Trip Advisor. Good luck.

Posted by
993 posts

We have stayed at the Cranleigh. Our room was large and light and ensuite. It was a bit of a walk to town, we took the bus, and it has parking. You can see in on Smootthhound.co.uk.

Posted by
10 posts

We had a wonderful experience at Chestnuts House.

Posted by
635 posts

Check out the Lynwood House. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Roman Baths.

Posted by
69 posts

We stayed at the Carfax Hotel. It's reasonably priced, very well-located, clean, has elevator, is in Georgian building, has ensuite bathrooms, parking, and has charm.