Please sign in to post.

Oyster Card ?

4 of us will be in London for 4 days. One day to Cambridge. Is the Oyster Card the best bet for pre-paid transportation?

Posted by
81 posts

Oyster is a "smart" debit card system that deducts fare each time you travel on the London system, but, unlike, say, Starbuck's cards, there is a discount AND a maximum per day, so the more tube, bus and tram rides you take, the better deal Oyster is.

A Travelcard is a pass that allows unlimited rides within selected zones during selected consecutive days. The Travelcard can be loaded onto an Oyster; during the Travelcard period none of the cash balance on the Oyster should be used unless you go out of the selected zones.

You cannot get an Oyster card just anywhere, but if you are flying into Heathrow it is available at the Transport for London Information Centre there; so if you are riding into town on the Underground you get the discount from the first ride. (If you are coming in from Gatwick, there is a TFL Centre opposite Platform 8 at Victoria Station ).

There is a £3 deposit (presumably refundable; I just keep mine for the next trip or loan it to traveling friends) plus however much you choose to load for travel(maybe £15-20 for four days). Each traveler will need one.

Very convenient; touch the card to the round yellow reader when you go through the Underground turnstile on entry ("tap in") and exit ("tap out") and the correct amount is deducted and the balance is shown. On buses, tap in, no need to tap out.

The only problem I have with the Oyster pass is that it does not apply to National Rail commuter train service to the suburbs south of the Thames, even though they are in the greater London "zone" system. If you are staying or plan to travel there, an Oyster won't work (no readers at the stiles) but a PAPER Travelcard will. A typical fare to where I was staying in Bromley in zone 5, was £3 one-way, or £5 same day return (roundtrip).

Enjoy London!

Posted by
6 posts

Does anyone know if the Oyster card works for hop off & hop on buses? For tour buses?

Posted by
347 posts

They don't. The hop on/off buses are private companies. The Oyster cards are for the public transportation.

Posted by
3580 posts

I was able to use my Oyster on the bus that runs near LHR along Old Bath Road from Slough. This is where many of the "Heathrow" hotels and motels are located. Of course, the Oyster can be used on the Tube to/from Heathrow Airport. I've been using the same Oyster for several trips now and find it very convenient. BTW, there is a small monitor at the exit gate; when you exit it will display the amount of GBP left on your card.

Posted by
347 posts

If you will be using the Tube or a bus a lot each day, it is definitely worth it. The previous posts gave you a lot of research to mull through. If that works for you, great. But the Oyster is very easy to use and, being a hard plastic card with a cover, it is easier to keep up with than a paper card.

We used ours constantly, and though they were 24GBP each, we definitely saved money.

Posted by
115 posts

Just a question regarding Chris' very informative post above...

I didnt realise that if you have a Travelcard you can load it onto an oyster card, and I was just wondering if I understood that correctly?

The reason why I ask, is because when I booked my accommodation in, there was a special deal going where I could receive a 3 day, zone 1&2 Travelcard. But, as I will be in London for about 7 days I was planning on getting an oyster card as I would still need to get in from Heathrow and around on the other days (including outside of the zones 1&2)

Thanks
Leeana

Posted by
11 posts

What about the "ZONES" mentioned with OYSTER & Travel cards? How would I know which zones are which and what their bounderies are? Thanks.

Posted by
508 posts

Ray - The tube maps as well as the journey planner all have the Zones. All the information is on their website. I use www.thetube.com - I can never remember the offical website address...

Posted by
11 posts

Julie: I found the zone map. Thanks! Ray