Please sign in to post.

oxford

Courses in summer at Oxford U. Train travel oxford to london.

Posted by
5678 posts

Someone will likely chime in with the direct info, but I recently stayed in London and commuted to Didcot which is just south of Oxford. It was about 45 minutes to Didcot with express trains that only made two stops. There are lots of choices. It can be a really fast train approaching 122 miles per hour at times. I was leaving around 8 AM and returning around 5 PM. Going to Oxford you may have to change at Didcot. There are late night returns. The late night trains do not get to 122 miles per hour. ; ) Pam

Posted by
4684 posts

Don't get a train that stops at Didcot from Oxford to London, there are much faster ones. Oxford to London is usually less than an hour by the fast trains, which stop at Reading and/or Slough only.

Posted by
5678 posts

True about Didcot. I was only using it as a time marker. You want to get whatever express there is for Oxford. That's what made the Didcot train so quick--it was an express. ; ) Pam

Posted by
33592 posts

Lynn, Its not completely clear what your precise question is. Could you clarify a weensy bit or do you have all your answers above?

Posted by
970 posts

Oxford's station is an easy 10-15 minute walk from the center of town. You will be somewhere very near the center of town. Trains leave every hour or so to London's Paddington Station. There are express trains, which don't stop all that much, and local trains, which stop everywhere. The trip takes about an hour; check schedules. If you go into London for the day, be sure to note the departure time for the last train back. Trains do not run 24/7. (Ditto the Tube in London.) Also, Oxford is commuting distance from London. Rush hour trains will be packed.