Please sign in to post.

oslo norway

headed to oslo for business. will have travel time sun-wed. want to see fjords. worth the trip by train to see them in bergen? are the museums closed on mondays?best things not to miss?

Posted by
258 posts

Marcia, below are parts of responses I posted recently to other people who had questions re: Oslo. It's a bit long, but rather than re-type.....! I think they address your questions. Good luck w/ the trip planning. Re: "Norway in a Nutshell": To maximize your time, I strongly suggest the "Norway in a Nutshel" trip, that Rick describes in detail in his Scandinavia guidebook (which I strongly suggest you get; as he does w/ all of his excellet guides, he details how you should spend your time, based on # of days you have), and which, it seems, EVERYONE who goes to Norway does. It's a highly-organized, efficient day trip that leaves Oslo early AM, and involves train, boat and bus. The train portion is spectacular (rises and lowers significantly and goes past gorgeous waterfalls; it stops at some for picture-taking). The highlight is a boat trip through the Sonajafjord; sp!, which was breath-taking. Re: Oslo "Musts" (in my humble opinion!):
In Oslo, don't miss the Viking Museum, Kon Tikki/Thor Hyerdal Museum, and the Munsch museum. Other great Oslo museums are the Maritime Museum and the Norwegian Resistance Museum (you walk away LOVING the Norwegians; they were incredibly anti-facscist and saved many of their Jewish residents in WWII). If I had to pick, say 2, I'd PROB go w/ the Viking and Munsch. And def give youself time to spend in Frogner Park, and, specifically, within the Vigeland Sculpure Park; pretty amazing stuff.

Posted by
13 posts

I agree with everything Lawrence wrote. You definitely have time to do a nutshell tour, which will allow you to see the most spectacular parts of the fjords. In addition, Oslo isn't a huge city, so it's easily seeable in the few remaining days you allocated for sightseeing.