Please sign in to post.

October 2008 Ireland Itinerary: HELP!

Hey All: I am planning a trip around the southern part of Ireland for 10 days (not counting travel days), and wanted to share my itinerary. If anyone has any suggestions, or thinks I have booked too much into one day, please let me know!

Saturday - Sunday (October 4-5): DUBLIN
Book of Kells/Trinity College Library
Kilmainham Gaol
Guinness Storehouse

Monday, October 6: This day needs to be broken up somehow - need suggestions!!!
Drive through Wicklow Mountains, then off to Rock of Cashel. (How much time to spend there?) Then on to Hook Head Lighthouse, then on to Kinsale. This is just waaaay too much for one day, I know

Tuesday, October 7: Kinsale
Charles Fort

Wednesday, October 8: Drive to Dingle via Killarney National Park - visit Muckross House

Thursday, October 9: Dingle
Slea Head Drive
Blasket Islands (weather permitting, possible to go next day)

Friday, October 10: Dingle
FREE DAY (or Blasket Islands)

Saturday, October 11: Drive to either Galway or Doolin
stop at Cliffs of Moher & Burren

Sunday, October 12: Galway or Doolin
Inishmore Island

Monday, October 13: Drive to Trim
Stop at Hill of Tara, Bru Na Boinne

Tuesday, October 14: Drop car off in Dublin, fly home

Thanks so much in advance for the advice!

Posted by
8700 posts

Distances in Ireland may not be great, but driving times can be slow, particularly on secondary roads. Besides, you'll want to stop frequently to admire the view or take a short walk. Don't do a "green blur tour!"

Consider skipping Hook Head Lighthouse and spending the night in Cashel. Drive to Kinsale in the morning and spend the day there.

Take the N71 along the coast from Kinsale to Killarney via Kenmare. The drive between Kenmare and Killarney is gorgeous.

If the weather is clear as you approach Dingle, drive over Connor Pass. You may not get another chance to see the panoramic views from the top.

Posted by
196 posts

I agree w/tim about the N7. If you really want to see a light house check out the light house at MIZEN HEAD as it is on your way from Kinsale to Kenmare on your way to Killarey. I would actually suggest that you enjoy your trip from Kinsale to Killarney/torc water fall etc... and stay the Oct 8 in Killarney. YOu can always get up early the next morning and head to An Dingle to enjoy the ride. I would suggest that you look into the Scuird Arceology(sp) tour of Dingle Peninsula. When you leave An Dingle head north to Clare by taking ferry across the River Shannon at Tarbert and onto Spanish Point, Miltown Malbay, Clifs and Doolin. Galway is not to be missed. It takes about 3 hours to cross from Galway to Dubs (all depending on the traffic)