Please sign in to post.

Norway Summer 2013: Rental car for 5?

Four of my sisters and myself are planning a summer 2013 trip to Norway to trace our ancestral roots. I know 5 is a challenging number when traveling, especially for booking lodging. Any suggestions? Also, our preference is to drive together in one car rather than two. What car rental companies have cars to accommodate 5 (average size) women? We will be visiting Oslo, Telemark county, and Bergen with a possible trip to Mo i Rana. The Oslo-Telemark-Bergen is the part of the trip we will drive. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
59 posts

I think all of the major rental car companies rent cars that can handle 5 people, but it will have to be a car on the order of a small van or station wagon (I've used Avis). If you rent a car with only front seats and a single back seat row, you obviously will have three people in the back row. I travelled in a group of 5 on a two-week trip in France several years ago with that arrangement, and it is crowded. But if you're friendly and know each other well, it works. Just stop and stretch often. The most important point is to impose luggage size and quantity limits on yourself and your sisters: each of you should have not much more than one carry-on size piece of luggage. A van or station wagon has a better chance of accommodating your luggage than a sedan-type car.

Posted by
11507 posts

As Bob says,, luggage will be a huge issue, take as little as possible ,and frankly, dont' rent a car, get a mini van,, having a tad bit more space will help. For lodgings, looks like a triple and a double, but perhaps someone will have better idea,, i am assuming you aren't staying anywhere very long , otherwise an apartment rental would likely work well,, but in summer most of them like 7 day rentals. Perhaps hostels may be work, they are not all party places for young folks, in fact many have private rooms now.. but they price usually per head so two cheap rooms may work out about the same. Check out HI and hostelling world.