Please sign in to post.

Norway in a Nutshell

I will be doing the Norway in a Nutshell tour at the end of June and will be leaving out of Oslo on a Fri morning, but must be back in Oslo that Sun afternoon for my flight. I'm trying to figure out where to spend the night Fri evening. This trip for me is all about relaxing and soaking up the scenery be it via boat, bike, hike, etc. I love hiking and enjoying the beautiful scenery should I spend the night in Flam, Aurland or maybe take a boat to Balestrand and stay the night? Is the boatride to Balestrand very scenic? Right now I am thinking Nutshell tour from Oslo to Flam, Aurland or Balestrand and spend the night. The next morning head to Voss via the Nutshell tour and then back to Oslo. What do you think? Thanks for your help!

Posted by
258 posts

Margaret, I recommend spending the night in Bergen, which is what I did. At the end of "Norway in a Nutshell," it's very easy to head into Bergen. I do recall some people on the trip returned to Oslo right away, but I was glad I went on to Bergen. It's small and very pretty/scenic. There's a lot to see near the waterfront and you can also take the funicular up to get a great view of the city below; beautiful (there are also easy walking/hiking options from up top). If you don't have it, I suggest you get Rick's Scandinavia guidebook; he includes an excellent, easy-to-understand description of the "Norway in a Nutshell trip," including a section on Bergen. You could spend Fri night in Bergen, sight-see/tour around on Sat, then make the easy train trip back to Oslo (I forget exactly how long it is; think it was something like 3/3.5 hrs or so, give/take a little. Whatever you choose, have a fantastic time on "Norway in a Nutshell," a spectacular excursion.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Margaret. I did the Nutshell tour in Norway, in May of 2007. I think your plan for that trip is good. I recommend : Friday night have overnight accomodation at Aabelheim Pension (small wood buildings) at Aurland. Ride in the train from Voss to Oslo on Saturday.
I do not recommend going to Balestrand, in your time frame.