Please sign in to post.

Norway, an extended stay.

I have a personal project that requires peace and quiet, that could take from 6 to 12 months.
I was wondering if it would be feasible to rent a simple, small, one bed cabin, flat or whatever in a small village on a fjord.

Has anybody actually done this or could offer any thoughts or comments on the idea?
Many thanks.

Posted by
4555 posts

You'll probably run afoul of their immigration law, which allows visitors to stay only 90 days in any 180 day, it's an expensive country. Born and raised out west, I can attest to lots of small towns and quiet cabins in the mountains and on lakes in places like Utah, Idaho, Washington state and Oregon.

Posted by
769 posts

Right - check with the immigration... Norway would be awsome - I have a perfects small town for you called "BALESTRAND" off the Sognfjord. Sleepy town with seasonal tourists - but its quiet!
There are some great small towns in Switzerland as well - in the Swiss Alps of Berner Oberland, the Italian part, or the St-Moritz "Grissons" area(away from the big areas).

Also - if 90 day limit is an issue - try Alaska - they have Fjords too, speak english and no 90 day rules!

Posted by
219 posts

What about the Isle of Skye, Scotland. Even the locals look Scandinavian.

Posted by
505 posts

Unless you have a passport from an EU country, you'd have problems staying more than 180 days (6 months). However, as the UK is not part of the Schengen Union (pretty sure Norway is), you could always stay in Norway for a few months and then go to somewhere peaceful in Scotland or elsewhere in the UK.

Also, for an extended trip, you need to be aware that to pass through immigrations you will be required to show proof (i.e. bank statement) that you can pay for all rent/food/medical/transport bills for the length or your stay since you cannot legally work.

I would second the comment that Norway is expensive - it's probably the most expensive of any place in Europe - Scandinavia being the most expensive, followed by the UK.

Also, EU citizen or not, you might well need to have a bank account in the country to rent a place and that can take a while to organize, and may be impossible if you are US citizen without a long term visa.