Please sign in to post.

Norway

My wife and I will be in Norway next June 22-26. We are planning one day (two nights) in Oslo, then the usual two trains to Flam, staying in Balestrand, then boat to Bergen for one night. All the travel agents sell the same "Norway in a Nutshell" or similar tour. However, they charge what seems to me to be exhorbitant prices. For four nights and the trains/boats, they quote around $2,100. For one overnight and the trains/boats they want $1,350. I know Norway is ex Has anyone done this on their own - making reservations directly, or found a travel agent who is more reasonable? David

Posted by
284 posts

It depends on the class of hotel that you're staying at but for two people, that doesn't sound outrageously unreasonable. On the other hand, I think I could probably put this together for about $1,500 total. Check out nsb.no, fjord1.no, and then the hotels. Expect to spend about $250 a night since it's during peak, unless you want to be adventurous and stay at a hostel. The YMCA Hostel in Bergen is actually pretty nice and well located. Twin rooms go from $157, if you can get them. Otherwise, $200-300 is the range.

Posted by
6 posts

Not sure what you mean you can put it together for $1,500. I assume you are not a travel agent. The site you gave me seems to be difficult to reach, but looks like comments about a ferry co. I'm sure I can get the hotels myself and arrange the trains through the hotel or when I get there. However, since it is usually sold as a pacage, I thought I would see if anyone had done it independently, or through a more reasonable agency. Even assuming hotels at $1,000, how mmuch can the trains and ferries cost? $1,000 seems very high.

Posted by
284 posts

First, yes, I am not a bonafide travel agent. Second, when I say that I can "put it together", what I'm saying is that I've done this independently four times. :) I usually act as the travel agent for friends and family, and have put this "package" together without a travel agent four times, most recently last year. In fact, looking back, I can tell you exactly how much it was last year (without the overnight in Balestrand). $1,322 for 4 nights in Oslo, 2 nights in Bergen, train, and boat. Boat was $119. Trains were $95 to Flåm. $72 from Bergen to Oslo. Like I said, I think I could put your shorter version together for about $1,500, give or take. And the "package" that they sell is 100% the same as what you get when you buy everything independently. It's just a ticket on NSB.no, a ticket from fjord1.no, your hotels, and that's it.