Please sign in to post.

norway

rick's guide does not include travel from Bergen to Geirangerfjord and Alesund. We will be there in late May. Can you give us some information on travel options.Thanks

Posted by
1 posts

Our friend in Alesund tells us that public transportation between there and Bergen comes down to using Hurtigruten if you want efficiency. This is a ship/cruise line. Apparently bus or train travel is very convoluted between those two areas.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks but Hurtigruten does not have a trip for us until June and we are going end of May. Would it be too much trouble to ask your friend about harangerfjord...is it worth going there for a one day trip from Bergen if we are also going to Songnefjord? We would like to see some countryside and not just the fjords.
Thanks...Sidney

Posted by
5835 posts

Hi, Haven't been to the destinations noted but have been to off the beaten American tourist places. One strategy is to identify the tourism office for the area in question then email for transportation options. Looking up the Alrsund area, the Norway tourism web: http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Where-to-go/Fjord-Norway/Alesund-Sunnmore/Getting-to-Alesund-and-Sunnmore-and-around/ "Getting to Ålesund and Sunnmøre and around Ålesund and Sunnmøre are easy to get to by air, land and sea. Ålesund is the regional traffic hub with connections to the whole Sunnmøre region." To get to places in the bush you may need combinations of travel modes including a taxi service. By train The railway station in the region is at Åndalsnes, 120 kilometres from Ålesund, with bus connection to/from Ålesund several times daily. Travelling time between Oslo and Åndalsnes is five hours and 30 minutes. The bus from Åndalsnes to Ålesund takes two hours and 30 minutes. For timetables and booking please contact the Norwegian State Railways (NSB) and Nettbuss. By bus
Express bus services with Nor-Way Bussekspress run throughout the region, with good connections to/from Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim.

Posted by
5516 posts

Thanks but Hurtigruten does not have a trip for us until June and we are going end of May. Sidney, I'm confused by this statement that you made. The Hurtigruten runs all year round and I see trips from Bergen to Alesund every single day in May.

Posted by
10 posts

We also wanted to combine it with their trip to the Sognefjord but that only starts in June...thanks

Posted by
5516 posts

But if you want to travel from Bergen to Alesund, you could still use the Hurtigruten to get between those two points and pick a different option to see the Sognefjord. For the Sognefjord, you could take the Norway in a Nutshell route which includes a short excursion on the Sognefjord. Or you could take the express boat that runs from Bergen to Flåm. I've visited the Geirangerfjord, but I did it by car. I took the car ferry between Hellesylt and Geiranger. On that trip, I traveled Oslo - Åndalsnes - Stryn - Sogndal - Oslo. On a prior trip, I traveled Oslo - Bergen - Flåm - Oslo using a combination of train and boat. I haven't made it to Alesund.

Posted by
11 posts

Sidney, I have the same problem. Rick seems to focus almost exclusively on the Sognefjord and doesn't provide any information about the Geirangerfjord/Alesund area. You might want to check out the Lonely Planet guide on Norway for more information. Laura, it sounds like you were in many of the areas I am planning on visiting in July, 2014. Anything you can share about Geiranger and Hellesylt? How much time should we allow there if we want to do a sight-seeing boat on the fjord and drive to the Dalsnibba viewpoint?