Please sign in to post.

Norway

I am leaving on the 26th of August for 6 days in Norway. We are planning on the first night in Bergen then heading out on the Nutshell route but taking our time. I have one night booked in Aurland. Does anyone have an opinon if I should stay two nights in Aurland or move on to the Balestrand area (there is a room available at the Balestrand Hotel). I was then planning on one night in Oslo then taking the late train back to Bergen. Would anyone have an opinion regarding staying 1-2 nights in Oslo and taking daytime train back to Bergen? Also, do you think it is ok to buy train tickets there if 2 of the 4 are senior citizens or do you recommend making the reservations and purchasing them state-side. Thanks for your help!!!

Posted by
343 posts

We loved Aurland for the view we had from the Vansgarden cottages and would have been content staying a second night there. But...we also loved Balestrand, and enjoyed our stay at the Balestrand Hotel with the American-Norwegian family that runs it. Neither town is hopping with things to do, though unless you plan to drive on the snow road from Aurland and the lookout over the cliff. Balestrand of course has the Kvicknes hotel with the awesome smorgasbord. But the real fun was in Flam on the fjord safari ride we did on the zodiac boat, and then returning to Flam and enjoying the wonderful microbrewery there. Have fun!