Please sign in to post.

norway

I will be visiting for 10 days. I'd like some intineries suggestions. fly into, stay one day, take train to, ferry over to and train back to fly home. I'd like to just follow an already tried and true plan since I don't have any idea. I'd like to see Oslo, take that Flam train ride and really see the off the beaten track Norway. Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Posted by
5836 posts

Fly into Oslo's Gardermoen Airport (OSL). Gardermoen has good options for getting to downtown Oslo with the NSB regional train being cheaper than the faster Flytoget. The SAS Flybussen can be a good option if you have a lot of baggage and have a hotel near one of the Flybussen Oslo stops. Note that some air travel websites show the Sandefjord Airport (TRF) as an Oslo airport. TRF is south of Oslo and is a longer and more expensive transfer to downtown Oslo. The Norway in a Nutshell train-bus-ferry tour is well worth the time and money. However, I would spend a full day or two in Bergen and not do the Nutshell tour as a 24 hour event. The Oslo Pass Card is a good value if you want to visit a maximum number of attractions in a day or two. You can buy 24, 48 and 72 hour versions. Check out the Aftenposten paper's on-line section "Oslopuls": http://oslopuls.aftenposten.no/ If you don't read Norwegian, use Google Translate and you can get a rough idea of what the Norwegian paper is reporting. If you enjoy the outdoors (hiking, skiing etc), consider visiting the mountains and staying at a full-service mountain lodge (hytte). The Norwegian trekking association is a good resource:
http://www.turistforeningen.no/english/

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Gretchen. If you will be at Norway 10 days, you will have time for going to more than Oslo, and the "Norway in a Nutshell" trip, and Bergen. In what month will you be at Norway ? I liked Norway and its people, very much.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the quick replies. We will be there in August. I'm going to be doing the Norway "Nutshell" the Lofoten Islands and sightseeing in Oslo. That's about six days. What other need to see is there? Hiking and being outside is a must for us. Any great hotels or B and B's you can recommed. Thanks again.
Gretchen

Posted by
57 posts

Gretchen, We spent 8 days in Norway 5 in Aurland and 3 in Oslo. We stayed in the cabins that Rick Steves mentioned in Aurland(The place where sheets are extra), and it was a wonderful base to drive around to the Stave Churches or driving the Snow road. It was only a 10 minute drive to Flam to get the train or boat. Anywhere we went along the Fjords was off the beaten track. Our comment was Norway was full of tunnels and waterfalls. Have a great time