Please sign in to post.

Northern Ireland

I've recently found out that my grandmother came from an area just east of Coleraine, west of Londonderry. I'm planning on a trip to Ireland soon, and was wondering what there may be to see in the area? Museums, natural sights, castles/ruins, etc...? Appreciate any input!

Posted by
1035 posts

This is actually a really good area to see many of the highlights of NI. The Giants Causeway is near, as is Bushmills, and some of the coastal resort towns. You are also within reasonably close driving distance to both Derry and Belfast. There will be no shortage of interesting things to see and do.

Posted by
425 posts

Drive over to stunning Donegal and on the way stop at Glenveagh Castle / national park. Fabulous. Roger

Posted by
1014 posts

Just a FYI. Northern Ireland is on the Pound, not the Euro and English and Scottish business do not like taking the Irish Pound, so, spend all the Irish Pounds in Northern Ireland you can. Think about charging things on credit cards, etc. Plus, the rest of Ireland really does not like or will not take the Pounds. If they do, the conversion rate will kill you.

Posted by
484 posts

Maybe she came from west of Coleraine and east of Derry instead of the other way around? The Carrick-a-rede rope bridge is close to the Causeway and the Bushmills Distillery, Dunluce Castle, The Ulster American Folk Park at Omagh south of Derry. There is also a ferry that crosses from Magilligan Point, about 20 miles northeast of Derry, to Greencastle in Donegal, it is only about a 10 minute crossing, where you can do a scenic drive around the Inishowen Peninsula,the "Inishowen 100". Derry has enough to see and do to keep you busy for at least two days. Just do a search for Derry tourism. Most of the tourists you meet in this area are either from the UK or the Irish Republic, very few Americans.