Please sign in to post.

New Year's in London

My daughter and I will be in Dublin at the end of December, and are thinking it would be fun to go to London for New Year's Eve. We are budget travelers. Any suggestions?

Posted by
643 posts

Budget travelers? Umm, stay in Dublin...

No seriously, London is not the place for the budget traveler. It's one of the most expensive cities to visit. Expect to pay at least $100 per night for a hotel room, and that's if you can find one that time of year.

Posted by
9104 posts

London is certainly is an expensive city, but from Christmas to New Years business class hotels will be very empty. Using priceline.com you should be able to get rates of about 60-80 USD per night at 4 star hotels. Check bidding strategies at http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

Posted by
2779 posts

Hi Pat, I have to disagree a lot with Dave, yes London is expensive BUT budget travelers can visit London. If you search you will be able to find nice accomdations with your budget. You and your daughter would have a great time.

Posted by
643 posts

I checked Londontown.com and found a couple hotels for 50-60 pounds a night. Nice hotels too, in South Kensington. Prices are lower in December than in September.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Pat. If you are willing to travel to the town Bath in England, there is a grand old B & B (it was the home of an important person there, a long time ago). It serves a traditional English dinner in its dining room, the evening of December 31. I think it could be a pleasant experience. The Dinner is for persons who are guests there that night. I do not know if they have a room available for that night. I would prefer to be at Bath, rather than London, the night of December 31.

Posted by
5678 posts

If you haven't firmed up your plans yet, you really should check into celebrating New Years in Scotland, Edinburgh would be terrific. The Scots have always taken Hogmany, New Years, very seriously and have great fun and celebrations. Pam