Please sign in to post.

New Year's in London

Any suggestions for activities for New Year's Eve and Day in London?

Thanks!

Posted by
1358 posts

Do a google search for 'London New Years Activities'. Or 'New Years Day', or 'New Years Eve'.

Posted by
242 posts

I already did that - I was looking more for suggestions from those that have been there for New Year's before.

Posted by
5574 posts

If you are going to the fireworks along the Thames, check the Transport for London website (tfl.gov.uk). Some of the stations in the vicinity have limited access (e.g. entrance or exit only) in the evening. TFL has a guide about transportation over the holidays that includes this info.

If you are a foodie, I believe that Borough Market has hours in the morning of New Year's Eve. I've never been over the holidays (only on weekends) so I don't know if all the stalls are open. I really enjoy visiting the market for breakfast or lunch. Monmouth coffee roasts their own beans and has excellent coffee. Flour Power has great brownies and other baked goods.

If you want to do something touristy, London Walks has walking tours both days. They also offer one of their "explorer days" to Stonehenge and Salisbury on New Years Day.

Many of the theatres have shows on New Years Eve and New Years.

Posted by
264 posts

As can be expected the Fireworks by the Thames are the highlight. Just be careful as a lot of people are packed down into that area. After midnight half of the people want to move on (be it home or another party) while the party is just getting started for the other half that want to stay. At least when I was there, a lot of pushing and shoving. It took us 90 minutes to get from the Thames back to South Kensington

Posted by
242 posts

How early should one plan on getting to the fireworks?

Posted by
264 posts

We did 2100 for fireworks and had little to no problem getting a good spot. Don't know if anything is different now.