Please sign in to post.

Need trip ideas

My husband and I are dropping a daughter at school in Carlisle UK (Lake District)the end of September. We've got 10 days to travel around before departing from London. We've been to London before, but would love ideas on countryside towns, etc. And should we drive? Or is train advisable? thank you,
Heidi

Posted by
571 posts

A day or two along Hadrian's Wall, perhaps?

Posted by
891 posts

Hadrian's Wall, Durham, into Scotland - Edinburgh is easily doable from Carlisle as is Glasgow and the western Isles - Arran Mull, Islay. Or go to York and drive down through places like King's Lynn, Norwich, Cambridge to London.

Posted by
3428 posts

York, Edinburgh, and the Scottish Highlands! Inverness makes a great base. Aviemore is a small village in the Caringorm moutains- great place for a change of pace and makes a good base if you are intersted in visiting whisky distilleries!

Posted by
5678 posts

You have lots of options. I would definitely explore the Borders. Pick up Fraser's book Steel Bonnets across the Borders. Then visit Carlisle Castle and Hexham. Check out Hermitage Castle and the Debatable Lands. I've not done this part, but you could explore Dumphries and the Douglas castles. Edinburgh is absolutely worth a couple of days. Stirling Castle is fantastseic. Monty Python fans should see Doune Castle. Head north then toward Inverness or west to the Islands. Tell us more about your interests and we can help you better. Pam