Please sign in to post.

Need help soon - Nottingham to London by train

Hi,

My friend and I will be travelling from Nottingham to London tomorrow and will be taking the train however, when I looked at the schedule and selected London, Earl's Court Station, it didn't recognize it. We are staying at Knaresborough Service Apt. on Knaresborough Place in one of their studio apartments. Can you help us figure out times and costs for the train? I was using www.seat61.com

Thank you sooooo much!

Posted by
2800 posts

Trains from Nottingham arrive at Londons St.Pancras station. Trains leave about every 20 minutes from Nottingham and the fare is £20.00. Once you get to St. Pancras you there are two ways to the apt., and it depends on how much luggage you have. If you don't have a lot I would go to the tube station at St. Pancras and get the Piccadilly Line to Earl's Court tube station, if you have a lot of luggage take a black taxi.

Posted by
8700 posts

As Robin said, direct trains from Nottingham to London arrive at St. Pancras. However, you will need to take the Piccadilly Line, not the Northern Line, from the King's Cross/St. Pancras Tube station to the Earl's Court Tube station.

Posted by
55 posts

Hi,

Thanks for your help. We made it and are finally in London! What an exhausting day though. It really takes a lot out of you when travelling for 3-4 hours. But we are looking forward to being in London and HOPE that the weather will warm up a little and show some sun.

I have another question. We are here until the 11th and wanting to take the train down to Nice and travel from there to Genoa, Santa Margherita Liqure and Cinque Terre. I was wondering whether we would take the National Rail Train or Eurostar (or is this both the same? I'm guessing that they are two different trains.

My friend and I purchased an Oyster card today which will save us money on public transportation! It's also good for National Rail train service so it would be great if it helped to pay for our trip to Nice.

P.S. Do you know what train station in London we would leave from to go to Nice?

Posted by
1337 posts

Hi all eurostar services also depart from St Pancras.
Lonon-Paris
Hit thier website and see if any ofers are on.I guess you need to hit scfn? the national french rail service for onward tickets from Paris-Nice

Posted by
8700 posts

Your Oyster cards are good on National Rail trains within greater London only.

To travel by train from London to Nice you will have to take the Eurostar from St Pancras International to Gare du Nord in Paris.

Take the RER D line directly from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon (1.60 EUR). Trains run every 15 minutes and the ride takes 8 minutes. Like the Metro, the RER runs underground in central Paris.

Take a TGV from Gare de Lyon to Nice Ville.

Don't fall over when you see the fares for the Eurostar and the TGV! Discount fare tickets are long gone and full fare tickets are pricey. And if you think 3-4 hours from Nottingham to London is exhausting, you're not going to be at all happy about how long it takes to get from London to Nice.

Book your Eurostar tickets at www.eurostar.com.

Book your Paris-Nice tickets at www.tgv-europe.com. Choose Canada as your country of residence. Since ticket machines in French stations only accept credit cards with embedded chips, choose to pick up your ticket at the station. Go to the window and the agent will swipe your card.

Use the German Rail site to get detailed timetables for the whole route and for your route from Nice to Italy. After you get summary timetables for point A to point B, click on the arrow to the left of the departure time(s) of your choice to see the connecting points.

Buy your tickets for Nice-Genova when you get to Nice. Buy your other tickets when you get to Italy.

Posted by
33582 posts

... and Oyster cards are not valid on ALL trains in London zones 1-6 by a long chalk.

Really, Isabella, didn't you plan at all before you left home?

Don't be surprised if the Eurostar and TGV trains you want are full and you have to try another. You often can't just turn up and go.

All trains through the tunnel (Eurostar) and all fast trains and sleepers between Paris and Nice are entirely reservation only.

If you have put a lot of money into your Oyster cards be sure to claim it back before you leave London.

Posted by
33582 posts

oh by the way, when using Eurostar you must check in at least 30 minutes prior and go through security. If you miss the 30 minutes, you won't travel.

Posted by
55 posts

Hi,

Thanks for your help, and yes, really, I did plan this trip before leaving home. We like to go with the flow and don't know how long we would be at each place so we didn't book the Eurostar. Also, we had planned on flying but thought it might be more enjoyable taking the Eurostar.

I travelled on my own last year for 3 months and found some great accommodations at affordable prices days or the night before (Rome). I didn't have everything set in stone because I didn't know how long I would stay in one place. I liked the idea of taking things as it comes and going with the flow.

I came here for help, which this forum offers, and not your criticism. If you don't want to help me, then don't respond to my message. You're not obligated to post your comments.

Thank you.