Please sign in to post.

Month in Scotland 2012

My husband and I are going to Scotland in May, 2012 for a month. Our itinerary includes Edinburgh, Callendar, Invergarry, Grantown on Spey, the Orkneys and Skye. We then have 4 more days in Scotland and would like suggestions as to where to spend our time. Our last stop before these last four days is Skye and we need to end up at the Edinburgh Airport. We thought about the Borders but are open to suggestions. Thanks for input.

Posted by
32253 posts

Cindy, Will you be using a rental car to travel around Scotland? Also, could you provide a bit of information on what type of destination you might be interested in? One Scottish location that's a bit unusual is This Island in the Hebrides (click the "For Visitors" link and the "Photography" link at the bottom). FlyBe has regular flights departing from Glasgow (time 1H:15M each way). The "Aerodrome" is on the beach! On the return to Glasgow, it's a relatively short trip back to Edinburgh. Happy travels!

Posted by
1833 posts

Some other places we have enjoyed in Scotland: Glencoe...............Plockton, up into the Applecross Peninsula, on to Loch Torridon and Glen Torridon............ take the ferry from Uig to Lewis for 2 nights. I can give you more details if you are interested in those locations.

Posted by
143 posts

I'm assuming you will have a car. We spent 4 weeks on Seil Island, near Oban, in spring 2009. That is a beautiful area. Much to see around this area. From Oban you can take a ferry to any of the islands, which we did - went to Tobermory town for the day(can't remember island name at moment). Wonderful ferry trip and easy to do. Bus takes you from ferry to the town. We highly recommend Oban area. Julia

Posted by
241 posts

Suggestions above are great. Sounds like a lovely holiday! Hope you get good weather and watch out for midgies!!
S ;0))

Posted by
3428 posts

Inverness is good. You could drop the car there and take the train to Edinburgh to catch your flight. St. Andrews might work well also. Personally, Aviemore would be my choice. Nice rural area with lovely scenery, lots to see and do in the immeidate area and nearby whisky distilleries to vist by bus or train if you don't have a car. If you are interested, I'll tell you about the hotel we love to stay in that also have THE BEST resturant for Scottish food!

Posted by
629 posts

You appear to enjoy visiting islands, after Isle of Skye why not go to Harris and/or Lewis? Either that or head south to Burns' country (Ayrshire).

Posted by
5678 posts

Indeed Harris and Lewis are wonderful. You have the Callanish Stones, viking long house, fantastic beaches, a wonderful walks. All the places in the westTorridon, Applecross and so onare spectacular. But you might want to be flexible and not book everything. Sometimes the rain can descend on the west and it's lovely in the East and Borders which are two great areas to think about as well. The east I'm talking about primarily is Aberdeenshire which includes Balmoral and the castle trail. You go further south to Arbroath and over toward Dundee and check out Glamis Castle. The borders have their own special appeal. Check out Fraser's book Steel Bonnets over the Border. There are beautiful Abbey Ruins, old Castle that defended the land against the English. Hermitage Castle is a great one. Over toward the Dumfries there is more. Pam

Posted by
16 posts

I agree with a couple others - the Outer Hebrides (Harris, Lewis, Uist) are stunning and worth a few days.

Posted by
14 posts

We are going to have a car. The following is our plan so far Callandere 5 nights. Tour Stirling, trossachs, loch lomond Edinburgh. 3 nights. Meet our friends who are flying in Invergarry. 2 nights. Tour Glencoe, Glen Affric, Loch Ness Grantown. 6 nights. Tour scotch distilleries, Inverness, black isle, etc Orkney. 4 nights Open. 1 night Plan to spend the night somewhere on the far west coast so we can take our time getting to Skye Skye. 4 nights. Open. 2 nights So we only have 2 nights and 3 days open now. Loved most of the suggestions. Don't want to do another island I don't think. Have been considering Oban or Kintyre/ bute. What do you think of that and which is best.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Posted by
14 posts

We are going to have a car. The following is our plan so far Callandere 5 nights. Tour Stirling, trossachs, loch lomond Edinburgh. 3 nights. Meet our friends who are flying in Invergarry. 2 nights. Tour Glencoe, Glen Affric, Loch Ness Grantown. 6 nights. Tour scotch distilleries, Inverness, black isle, etc Orkney. 4 nights Open. 1 night Plan to spend the night somewhere on the far west coast so we can take our time getting to Skye Skye. 4 nights. Open. 2 nights So we only have 2 nights and 3 days open now. Loved most of the suggestions. Don't want to do another island I don't think. Have been considering Oban or Kintyre/ bute. What do you think of that and which is best.

Posted by
14 posts

Posted by
5678 posts

Cindy, If you log on you can delete your duplicate posts. ; ) Now that I know your itinerary, I would suggest that you take longer going from Orkney to Skye. Go west from Thurso, and stop off at Betty Hill and see the Clearance Museum, then drive down to Strathnaver to see the actual place that was cleared. You can go on to Tongue. You can stay there or head further west and stay at a B&B on Loch Eriboll. This is the Loch where the convoys assembled in WWII before crossing the North Atlantic. It's spectacular scenery. Drive further west to Durness. Do the trip to Cape Wrath. We missed that and I really regret it. The Durness Sands are amazing to see. The west coast drive in the north is really spectacular. We stayed in Lochinver. Ullapool is wonderful. You can go for a walk in the hills above the town and have wonderful views. It would be a good place to stop. On your way to Kyle of Lochalsh and Skye take the detour to Applecross. It's wonderful. There is great place for lunch in a walled garden just outside of Applecross. On the way south from Skye explore Arnamurchan. It's remote on the mainland and wonderful. Then head south to Glencoe and Glasgow. Pam