Please sign in to post.

Money

Hi all, I'm a very frugal person. I usually travel quite cheaply. I'm taking someone with me this time who has never been. She's a vegetarian (won't be eating really expensive meals.) After all transportation costs, hotels, and all attractions have been paid for, how much do you think she will need to budget for food/misc? She's pretty frugal as well (and as she's 17, she won't be drinking, so no high beer costs).
Thanks!

Posted by
2367 posts

Where are you going, that would help us to be able to help more.

Posted by
189 posts

Gail, I suppose it would. :)
Sorry. We'll be in London for three days, then going to Gloucester, Wales, Dover, Canterbury, East Anglia and York.

Posted by
2367 posts

Try local "deli's. We had great pasties (not sure if they have have vegetarian but guess they would) They are so filling. Also we filled up at Chinese restaurants where we could fill up a take out box with all you could fill up in a take out box and it fed three of us. How about colleges with cafeterias. Also try local supermarkets for cheese and bread at low prices. Enjoy.

Posted by
189 posts

Thanks. She's going to have about 25 pounds a day for miscellaneous (food included). I think it will be ok.

Posted by
345 posts

I'm a veggie, and often got by on 5-10 pounds for the day (breakfasts were included where I stayed). Tons of great veggie options, especially from grocery stores. What I wouldn't give for a mozzarella pesto bloomer from Pret, or any of the great salads from Marks and Spencer. Sigh.

Posted by
2367 posts

At seventeen, if she is a student so might get student discounts, not sure if this works in UK. Also try free London walks, we took 3 of them and they were great. Also we found several 2 for one coupons at train stations. Enjoy trip.

Posted by
189 posts

Thanks! I'm feeling better about it, now. I was worried she wouldn't have enough money to have any fun.

Posted by
2367 posts

So glad you are feeling better, she will have fun. There are several museums in London that are free. Also go to a church service, walk to speakers corner in Hyde Park, see changing of the guards, walk across tower bridge, it you can't afford to go into the Tower of London as least you will have a good view of it from outside. Good luck.

Posted by
970 posts

Kristie, it's easier to be a vegetarian in the UK than in the States.Vegetarian restaurants are not scarce in London and other large cities, and many other restaurants will have legitimate veggie items on the menu. If your companion likes Indian and south Asian food, or wants to try it, you won't have any trouble, either. A daily budget of 25 pounds is frugal, but do-able if you are careful, and if you are aware the ticket fees for some attractions (Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's, for example, an eat up about half that.) I'd take a close look at what attractions you want to see and budget accordingly. That said, London and the rest of Britain is full of stuff that costs nothing. After all, it is a different country, not a giant amusement park. Experiencing that costs nothing. If you don't want to blow half a day's budget on St Paul's, for example, visit one of the other cathedrals in London. Make a list of the free museums you'd be willing to spend hours in, especially on a rainy day. The British Museum is incomparable, and free. (And you can eat there, at three places: 1. coffee, tea and munchies on the main floor; 2. A pretty good little cafeteria; check the maps on the main floor; and a nice white tablecloth place atop the spiral stairs that dominate the main floor.) Have a great trip. (I should add to keep an eye out for Pret A Manger franchises in London. Pretty good soup, sandwich and salad fast food places.) Remember, too, that whatever you think something would cost at home, it will cost that much in pounds, and probably a bit more.

Posted by
687 posts

Another way to visit churches like St. Paul's, for free, and hear some excellent music, is to attend evensong. I'll put in a vote for the V&A, which I actually prefer to the British Museum. It also has food available, and some beautiful rooms in which to eat it. I also second the recommendation of Pret a Manger - one of the first things I do when I get to London is head there for a crayfish and rocket sandwich. Then I go to the V&A for a scone and clotted cream. Yummm.

Posted by
189 posts

Hi JC...the 25 would be after all attractions have been taken out. I think you're right - it's doable.
I added up the costs of every place where visiting (that we know of ahead of time) and it's 200, so we've already deducted that.

Posted by
189 posts

Oh, I love Pret a Manger...one of my favorite places in London. I go every year, but I've never really paid attention to how much I'm spending, so when she asked, I was at a loss. We are going to the V and A...so looking forward to that - I haven't gone in years.

Posted by
970 posts

Only tangentially related to cost, but if one of you has a smart phone that will work in London, even on wifi, Google around for one the apps that's tracks and provides alerts to Tube problems and downtimes. Very handy, and may save you some cash. I used one last October. Checked it every morning, and I'm glad I did.

Posted by
241 posts

£25 fine but budget carefully. Transport (ESP taxis very expensive). Transport costs vary A LOT throughout day, but avoid peak times. Main expense will be if you want to go out for meals, cinema, theatre, etc. There is a good series of guide books written in the uk which caters for slightly more budget travel - "the rough guide" series. Also, in london the locals restaurant guide is called "the list" - has some good pubs, vegetarian restaurants (there is no necessity to drink alcohol) - some is on-line so you could check this out. Just lakeside you have a little emergency reserve ESP for transport.
S

Posted by
241 posts

Sorry London guide is "time out" - "the list" is Edinburgh and Glasgow!