Please sign in to post.

money belt?

i was wondering should i get a money belt? doesnt that scream out TOURIST? lol i live in nyc, the land of thieves, ive never had my bag snatched from me and i always hold on to it tightly. but then again i dont carry my life in my bag. just 1 credit card, change for the bus and the most 20 bucks. where do you get 1? ive only seen people wear them and buy them in disney parks. is it the same as a fanny pack. btw i heard fanny means something else in the uk. blush blush. nyc doesnt have a walmart. does any1 know where i can i get 1 since i guess i need it. i dont want to buy it online. i want to buy it in a store or street coner? lol china town? you can get a fake rolex there so maybe a money belt? idk lol any suggestions? thanks

Posted by
32201 posts

mel, A Money Belt is usually a good idea even in the U.K., but it's NOT going to "scream out TOURIST" if you're wearing it properly underneath your clothing where it can't be seen. A Money Belt is only used for "secure storage" and not for daily expenses when touring. Keep some money in a pocket for that, and only access the Money Belt where you can't be observed by others. You should be able to find Money Belts in local luggage shops, perhaps some Travel Agencies or stores like Target. Lexington Luggage at 793 Lexington Avenue, NY appears to carry one Eagle Creek model. You could also try Flight 001 at 96 Greenwich Avenue, NY. They offer a "Waist Safe" for $14. I have no idea how far either of those stores are from your home, but they shouldn't be hard to find. If you don't want to order online, you should be able to order by phone from either Magellans or Rick Steves. You'll probably find a greater range of choices by ordering from Magellans or Steves. I'd be suspicious of the quality of something purchased in China Town or on a street corner, so not something I'd would EVER do. As you noted, it's NOT a good idea to use the term "Fanny Pack" in the U.K. Refer to it as a "Waist Pack". That IS something that will "scream out TOURIST"! Happy travels!

Posted by
5513 posts

It is all about how much risk you want to accept with regard to your vacation. I had my wallet stolen when I lived in London. I was coming out of a crowded tube station with my purse dangling behind me. I walked around the corner and stopped in a shop to get a coffee where I noticed the purse was unclasped. When I opened it up, my wallet was missing. I filed a report with the transit police, called Visa International to cancel my cards (from the station). That happened on a Saturday morning. I had a replacement card the following Monday. Similar to what Pam described, because I lived there it was no big deal, but it was annoying. I had a flat with food in it, friends in the city, etc. I personally know at least 3 people who have had a wallet lost or stolen. A Swedish friend set her purse down under the table at a Munich beerhall. When she went to leave, it was gone. Another set her purse down on the dock while waiting for a boat in Sweden and then forgot to bring it on the boat. A third person noticed her small bag with a camera and wallet was missing when she got off the vaporetto in Venice; she thinks that it might have been cut it off as the boat was very crowded and she had a suitcase too, but wasn't sure. I never thought that I would have my wallet stolen until it happened to me. I'd been living in Europe for almost 3 years when my wallet was stolen. When I am on vacation, I am a bit more careful mainly because I don't want a mishap to disrupt my fun. I get a limited amount of vacation time and I don't want to spend a day dealing with paperwork or getting to an embassy. I don't always wear a moneybelt, but I do minimize my risk. For example, I don't bother with a moneybelt when I am visiting London but I do leave a spare credit card and my passport locked in the hotel safe. If my purse were lost or stolen, I have a backup locked up at the hotel.

Posted by
10 posts

You don't need a money belt. If you're fine without one in NYC, you'll be fine in London. Although they're designed to be hidden under clothes, they often poke out and can be seen, which immediately marks the wearer out as a tourist. Save yourself the money and the discomfort - don't bother.

Posted by
9099 posts

It's essential to have a money belt; especially in a big city like London. Pickpockets target tourists: they carry the most amount of cash and cards, and are least likely to testify in court should they be caught. Living in NYC you're not a prime target for the local pickpockets, they prefer European and Asians tourists riding the subway;) Fanny Packs aren't the same as money belts. Money belts are sold on this website (click travel store tab above), or at any retailer that sells luggage. Isn't there a Target near Yankees Stadium??? As a last resort you can always buy them at the airport. The strategy is to keep just a days worth of spending money in your wallet/purse and perhaps one credit card if you have multiple cards, excess cash/cards, and passport goes in the money belt kept under your clothes at all times. Should you need to access it do so in private like the bathroom. Money belts don't prevent you from getting robbed, they just cut your losses. Instead of having everything stolen and spending a couple days getting a new passport, canceling card/ arranging for replacement cash etc....you limit you losses to just 50 pounds or so, and it won't ruin your trip.

Posted by
357 posts

No, you don't need a money belt. I'm in London right now and just as I did on my last visit, I'm carrying my regular purse, wearing my regular clothes, and getting around on tubes and buses like everyone else. I do have a small wallet I use for travel, and stays in the bottom of my purse. It contains my driver's license, 1 debit card, one credit card, and some cash. Use a little common sense like not leaving your purse open or hanging on a chair. Don't carry wads of cash, and don't flash it around.

Posted by
1840 posts

We do not use money belts. I use a hidden pocket or two to carry lots of cash or else a neck wallet. My wife carries an opera wallet inside her cross body shoulder bag. I use a Rogue wallet for daily wandering around. There are some womens styles of those too.

Posted by
484 posts

Personally, I prefer a neck pouch. Just for passport, most of your money, atm card, driver's license, photocopy of credit card and cc emergency number, credit card. Keep your day's funds in your regular wallet. That way, if you lose your wallet or get robbed - you have your most important items to get you back home. Plus, you can immediately cancel your credit card and get an emergency one if necessary.

Posted by
5678 posts

I too live in NYC and have lived in Chicago and don't use money belts in my home town. If my wallet gets stolen in NYC, my doorman will let me into my apartment where I can start the process of getting the items replaced. My bank is right around the corner, I have friends who can help me out. In London I don't have any of those things. So, I use the money belt for the documents and cards that I can't afford to lose. In my wallet I carry the money and documents that I will need for that day. The money belt is deep storage. So, I really only use it when in transit for the most part. If I'm staying in a hotel with a safe I can lock up the important stuff. As I said it's a deep storage. It's not something that you are in and out of during the day. You really should go to the restroom or somewhere else private to access it. Don't haul it out to buy the train ticket for example. ; ) And, I LOL I was going to suggest a luggage store on Lexington too! But mine was further uptown, a couple blocks up from Bloomingdales. ; )

Posted by
4535 posts

The thing about losing or having your wallet/purse stolen in your own city is that it might cause annoyance and some minor distruption, but your daily life goes on. When traveling in a foreign country, if you lose (ie stolen) your ID, passport, credit cards and ATM card, how exactly will you continue your vacation until those things are replaced? And that can take days. So I highly recommend some kind of secure storage. It's no different than insurance, you likely rarely need it, but it's important to have. "Moneybelts" can mean lots of different things to different people. There are the ones that go under the waist, ones that hand around the neck under your shirt, pouches that loop through your belt and even secure purses for ladies. They all provide different levels of personal comfort and access. Pick the one that works best for you physically and mentally. Some people only access it in private, others have no problem accessing it in public. Most keep daily spending cash in a wallet or pocket; some also keep a credit card handy. The "fanny pack" you refer to is not a secure method. And finally, everyone will know you are a tourist. Especially pickpockets. So don't fret about that.

Posted by
72 posts

I feel like in the UK you can carry a wallet around and be fine. You need to be aware on the tube and in crowds just like anywhere but overall I don't feel it is as necesary in the uk as in france or italy.

Posted by
635 posts

I just returned from a trip to France. Part of it was on a river cruise and part was on the cities before and after. On the cruise, three different people (out of 115) lost their cash, credit/debit cards and passports before the cruise began in their starting city. The starting cities were Nice, Monte Carlo or Marseille. In Paris, one person lost just their wallet during the one full day included with the cruise. I carry a decoy wallet. In the Invalides RER station I had three young pickpocket trainees follow me and make some pretty lame attempts to get it. If successful, they would have gotten a 20 year old wallet, a few handwipes and some tissues. We were with another couple and the husband got very angry with them. I was personally having fun by suddenly turning when they got close to me or began a "distraction." Many here seem to think they are "special" and won't get hit. The problem as I see it is that getting pickpocketed in the US is an inconvenience. In Europe you may be unable to pay your normal expenses and/or may need to spend the better part of a day at the closest American consulate. GET THE MONEY BELT. Trust me. Everybody can spot you as a tourist already. You don't even need to speak.

Posted by
86 posts

so i got the money belt @ the chinese gift store 5 dollars :) its very strong. it has the same plastic snap and strap just like on a back pack.

Posted by
5678 posts

BTW I had a work colleague who's wallet was lifted in the Hale and Hearty on Third Avenue at 44th this past March. She had foolishly hung her purse on the back of her chair. It really disrupted her day and she lives here. ; ( In the process of discussing her situation we heard about another friend who had put her purse down under her chair in a McDonald's. And, there was a person who can through with a broom, sweeping and took her purse. He was not an employee. When she complained bitterly to the manager, he just shrugged. So, lesson learned: NEVER put your purse under your chair keep it on your lap or wrap the strap around your leg. You really have to keep your eye on all your belongings in any city. Pam

Posted by
33 posts

We just returned from a two week trip to Paris and Barcelona. I didn't want to go the money belt route, didn't want to tote my backpack, and my purse is not the type for sightseeing. So, I bought (from REI) one of the smaller Pac-Safe cross body purses. I was never bothered or approached by pickpockets or thieves. I made sure, even with this bag, that I held on to it while we were in crowds or on the Metro. It cost about 70 dollars, but it is a very secure bag, and gave me a lot of peace of mind while travelling.

Posted by
964 posts

There's 3 things I'd like to say:
1. Much as it would be lovely to think that you're safe from pickpockets in certain cities- you're not. Pickpockets exist everywhere. It only takes one to ruin your entire trip. 2. Moneybelts don't have to be uncomfortable. I have a RS one and I barely know I'm wearing it. 3. Cross body bags- yes they feel secure. I have one. I was wearing it in Lisbon two weeks ago. Guess what? I was jostled on the tram ( a gang of 3 were working the tram) and my wallet was taken from that bag. It only had 30 euros in it and no cards. But the point is, they got it from that bag. So, not so secure after all. Don't underestimate skilled pickpockets- your naivete is how they make their living.

Posted by
2349 posts

Mel, you write, "so i got the money belt @ the chinese gift store 5 dollars :) its very strong. it has the same plastic snap and strap just like on a back pack." Are you sure you got a money belt? It should be flat, thin, and comfortable UNDER your clothes. It would only hold bills and a passport. NOT a fanny pack that would hold pens, coins, tissues, gum, etc.

Posted by
9099 posts

Just to add to what Maggie says about cross-body bags......My 72 year-old mother was wearing one May of last year in front the Antwerp Train station. As she was removing her sunglasses from it, a gentleman "bumped" into her and removed a small purse thingy that had 50 euros in it. These bags may handy, comfortable, and lightweight, but they do nothing to prevent pickpockets.

Posted by
993 posts

Mel, Firstly a money belt is a small price to pay for security. If memory serves the only time Rick was ever mugged was in London. And secondly NEVER say "fanny" in the UK in polite society. It has a whole other meaning.

Posted by
86 posts

i know not to call it a fanny. lmao i heard about the whole fanny thing. baahhhhahahah its flat. not bulky. it has a zipper on top, 2 zippers on the front and 1 in the back. im going to wear it under my shirt. i feel weird about the whole thing though. it reminds me of my grandmother back in the day when she would put money in her bra lol or i remember men putting wallets in their socks when they ride the nyc subways. haha i think i will feel some1s hand in my shirt if they want to take it that far!

Posted by
113 posts

I have used the RS money belt for my last several trips to Europe and you don't really notice you are wearing it.

Posted by
5678 posts

Hah, Hah, money in socks on NYC subways is alive and well today! I had two visitors from Europe stay with me for a couple of days and they put money in their shoes when they took the Air Train and subway to Manhattan just last week! Pam

Posted by
86 posts

@pam thats funny. the subways were really bad in the 70s and 80s. i remember i was told to put money in my front pocket of my jeans, or bra, or sock under my feet. hahaha

Posted by
2775 posts

Mel, people are only trying to help you, I see no need to be rude. Also, it would be rude in London and say fanny!!