Please sign in to post.

money

going to england,wales and scotland for 14 days.Will 300 pounds in cash be ok are need more.Yes i will be using a credt card at times.
Harry

Posted by
6898 posts

300 pounds is about $488. This will definitely get you started. In Great Britain, there are very few places that don't charge to see the tourist things. On our 3-week trip, we spent 205 pounds on entry fees to the great castles, cathedrals, gardens and other sites.

Posted by
9363 posts

300 pounds will get you started. Plan to get money from an ATM along the way if needed (with a debit card, not by taking a cash advance from your credit card). The 300 pounds gives you about 21 pounds a day, which isn't much, even if you pay all of your lodging and activities with the credit card.

Posted by
635 posts

The most economical way to pay for almost everything is getting cash from an ATM using a debit card. I used my credit card for the rental car but that was it. Even if I guaranteed my room with a card I paid cash when checking out. Some places don't take credit or debit cards. ATMs are almost everywhere and I never had a problem finding one. You'll also get a much better exchange rate through an ATM than buying currency in the US or, even worse, at the airport. It's ok to get a little pocket money for when you land but get most of your cash at an ATM.

Posted by
8700 posts

Be sure you notify your bank and your credit card providers as to where and when you will be in Europe. If you don't, a computer may freeze your cards for what it recognizes as unusual activity (possible fraudulent use). Read this very helpful article by Rick Steves.

Posted by
340 posts

If you bank with Bank of America, they have a reciprocal agreement with Barclays, so you won't pay any ATM charges. Before my husband and I left for England and Scotland, I went onto the Barclays website and downloaded the locations for their ATMs for the cities we were visiting, and never had a problem finding one. I also echo the advise to let your bank and credit card companies know you will be overseas so they won't suspect fraudulent activity. Also, I'm sure I'm overly cautious, but I would be concerned about using my debit card overseas. You would hate to find out your checking account has been drained while you're traveling. At least with a credit card you'll still have access to cash while you clear up any disputes. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
177 posts

If you are going to castles, gardens and other tourist sights the British Heritage Pass might help you save some pounds. It looks like the 15 day pass is 89 pounds. I usually add up the cost of the places I am going to see and determine if it is worth it. It just depends on how much sightseeing you will be doing and want to be obligated to see.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks to all for the information. I think 150 pounds will be good to start and use the ATM's Harry

Posted by
11 posts

This is such wonderful information. I was mulling over how much US cash to convert so we would have some BP upon our arrival in London. 300 pounds was the figure I was considering.

Posted by
340 posts

Harry, I wanted to clarify something I said in my earlier reply. When I expressed concern about using a debit vs credit card overseas, I was talking about using your debit card at other than a bank connected ATM. I know alot of people that use their debit card instead of carrying cash for everyday purchases such as a cup of coffee at Starbucks or a tube of toothpaste at CVS. I personnaly just try to avoid as many opportunities for "skimming" as possible. Hope you have a wonderful trip.