Please sign in to post.

Manchester

We are going to be in Manchester towards the end of October. Any suggestions for day trips?

Posted by
11294 posts

If you have any interest in movie or photography history, Bradford has a National Media Museum. Why is that worth a special detour, you ask? (particularly since telling locals you are going to Bradford gets the same reaction as telling Americans you are going to Cleveland - before the Rock and Roll Museum). What makes this very special is that they are one of three places in the world that can still show three projector Cinerama. About once a month, they show the original, 1952 This Is Cinerama, in all its glory. I haven't seen it (on my last trip, it was showing the day after I left the country), but my next trip to the UK will be planned around this. If you want more information about what makes Cinerama such a big deal, ask me (either here or in a private message). The Museum's website: http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/

Posted by
11294 posts

Rather than tease as I did in my last message, here's what the museum's PDF schedule had to say: >>Our monthly screenings of This is Cinerama are a proud tradition. An early '50s response to the popularity of television, Cinerama's enormous screen and 7-track surround sound practically lifted the audience out of their seats. In 1993 this Museum opened Pictureville – an exact reproduction of a Cinerama theatre. This is Cinerama was the first 3-strip film ever made and is about as fun a piece of Americana as you are ever likely to see. WHAT IS CINERAMA?
Cinerama is an ultra-wide cinema format created sixty years ago this year. It used three 35mm film strips to gather a huge quantity of information, to create a sharp, finely detailed image. These three films would then be projected onto a 146° curved screen to fill people's field of vision. The aim was to immerse the audience in their film experience, in much the same way as modern IMAX or 3D cinema. The National Media Museum is one of only three public venues in the world that can show Cinerama.<<

Posted by
380 posts

Just at the edge of the Peak District is Disley, which is home to Lyme Park. Lyme Park is a beautiful home set in a large deer park. The house and grounds are just beautiful and worth the trip. Its also a great place to take a picnic lunch. I haven't been in almost 15 years but it was still a favorite day trip when I was visiting a friend in Stockport. If you don't have a car be prepared for a long walk, probably a mile and a half from the Disley train station but it was worth it for the view. You can get more info from here - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lyme-park/. Also, if you have seen the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth) then you will recognize the house as Mr. Darcy's Pemberley. If anyone is interested in military history and/or armor then a trip to the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds is a must. It was a highlight of one trip to Manchester for my husband. You could also go to York for the day. We did that on one trip and had a wonderful time walking through the city, going to the Castle Museum, seeing the Minister, etc. Its only an hour and a half by train from Manchester. The Castle Museum is excellent, has been a favorite of ours and we can't wait to take our 1 year old daughter when she's a little older. You could also go to Chatsworth. It was about an hour and a half drive from Manchester. Have a great time!