Please sign in to post.

Looking for great accommodation in Central Amsterdam, Feb. 2011

I'm taking a course in Rotterdam at the beginning of Feb. 2011. Flying into Amsterdam for the weekend before (2-3 nights) and would like suggestions on accommodation, great restaurants, sights not to miss. Many thanks, Diane

Posted by
676 posts

Don't miss the Anne Frank house, get there at opening or later in day to miss the lines-per Rick. Take a canal ride. Go to a "brown" coffeehouse even if you don't want to smoke marijuana-we went on a Sunday morning, didn't smoke, drank coffee and talked to the owner and regulars who were there too.

Posted by
30 posts

I've stayed at the Hotel Estherea twice and think it's charming and well-located by the Singel Canal. There's always fruit, candy, cookies available, as well as coffee, tea, hot chocolate. I asked to have breakfast included gratis with my two night stayed and they obliged, otherwise quite expensive.
Get Rick's guidebook and you'll do well. I especially enjoyed the van Gogh Museum and Anne Frank House.

Posted by
3428 posts

It is not cheap, but the Hotel Puletzer (sp??) is wonderful. It is 'composed" of several houses that have been turned into a hotel. It is about 2 blocks from the Anne Frank house on a lovely canel. Because of it being made of several houses, there are interesting gardens, courtyards, etc. And it is only a short walk from Dam Square.

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have the RS Amsterdam Guide book yet? Lots of good information that we have used on our several trip to Amsterdam.

Posted by
2746 posts

Splurge on Boogaard's B and B, 10 minutes from train station, on residential block. The finest B and B you will ever encounter. And he can advise you well on the best things to see.
Although city transit is great, everything is walkable.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you so much to all of you who have replied to my request. I do have the RS Amsterdam guidebook for sure. Just wanted to get 'on the ground responses' from folks. Any ideas of great places to stay in Rotterdam too?

Posted by
10241 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Brouwer too, and was very happy with it. Don't miss the Anne Frank house. You can reserve in advance on-line. The reservation gives you a 2 hour window to arrive.

Posted by
2026 posts

I see Larry beat me...Boogaard's B&B. Very enjoyable stay 2 years ago. But a "splurge"? I think we paid about 100 Euro for 2, with extraordinary breakfasts. Peter insisted on doing our laundry! Next time we put Amsterdam at the end of the trip. Wonderful place, perfect host.

Posted by
166 posts

Although it may be a splurge for your budget, I agree that The Hotel Pulitzer it terrific. It has a great location, breakfast was included, located on a canal with it's own canal boat tours! We enjoyed our stay there and would return again.

Posted by
2746 posts

When you were paying the Czech equivalent of $75/night in Prague for a hotel, and $50 for an amazing Pension (Olsakovsky, mentioned in the Czech republic book), then the 120 euro less cash discount at Boogaard's was, to us, a splurge. But that's OUR budget, which we realize is not everyone else'...
That said, Boogard's was worth every cent (euro?) we paid and the next time that we include Amsterdam on a trip the dates for the entire trip will be depend on being able to stay there again.

Posted by
1014 posts

We booked a hotel on Priceline for 80 dollars per night and won the Movenpick. Great hotel, right on the water. It is a 10-15 minute walk to the train station and the beginning of the Amsterdam area.

Posted by
2026 posts

You're absolutely right, Larry. I meant no offense. I do understand that everyone sets their own budget. And truly, we seek pretty much the lowest cost accomodations we can find, as we are fairly basic in our needs. I guess I felt Boogard's was quite competitive with the going rate we encountered. But, we too will return to Amsterdam and stay only there.