Please sign in to post.

London Tube

I'm traveling alone coming up in October and need to catch the London tube at 5:30 in the morning at Holland Park to catch the Eurostar at 6:55am. As a single woman traveling alone I'm worried about safety and commuting this early in the morning in the dark. Anybody have any suggestions?

Posted by
15016 posts

If it's during the week you'll probably see quite a few people commuting in for work. You should be fine. The other alternatives would be to take a couple of night buses, although this is difficult due to road construction on the route, or take a taxi which will run between 20 and 25 GBP.

Posted by
32770 posts

Jenn, It can just about be done by tube. The first eastbound train from Holland Park, if no overrunning engineering works, M-F (all bets off on weekends and you play your luck on Monday mornings), is at 538 and 544. Change at Oxford Circus for the Victoria Line. This will get you to Kings Cross St Pancras Tube at just after 600, figure 10 minutes to the check-in which you MUST be at a minimum of 30 minutes prior to departure. Safety aside (and I bet you'd be fine) I'd taxi it, me.

Posted by
15016 posts

Nigel is right. I just checked the times and you are really cutting it close relying on the tube at that hour. Any delays and you are in trouble. My suggestion would be to talk to your hotel about arranging a car for you at that hour. Do this the day before. It might cost a few pounds but it will save you a lot more if you miss your train and have to buy a new ticket.

Posted by
970 posts

Jenn, Nigel mentioned "engineering works". Different sections, even entire lines, of the Tube are taken out of service on weekends for repairs. This is a common and frequent occurrence. Here is the Transport for London page that lists current and upcoming outages: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/track.aspx?offset=weekend. I agree that booking a taxi is what you should do. In fact, I'd leave at 5:00 a.m., just to be sure. Better to have tine to relax at the station that to miss the train.

Posted by
1986 posts

Its worth it to get the taxi. Less stress. There are times when it makes sense to spend a little money. I endorse arranging it through your hotel and give yourself time for a cup of coffee at the station

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions! I thought about taking a taxi for the earlier train (departs at 5:25am) since it's about $20 bucks cheaper and would make up for about half of the taxi ride (I'm trying to be cheap cause I'll be in Europe for 8+ weeks). Do you think it'd be tough to get a taxi to the B&B I'm staying at near Avondale Park at that time in the morning?? If I took the earliest train what time should I have the taxi pick me up from the B&B to make it with enough time for the 30 minute check-in?

Posted by
1986 posts

Check with your B&B now. they may have someone they use. too early though and you will get into night time rates and fewer taxis. Also check with the B&B about travel times. Before 6 am it'll probably only take about 20 minutes from Holland Park, but check with locals. i wouldnt cut it too close

Posted by
32770 posts

Jenn, when you speak to your B&B also discuss your pretty early departure. I was just listening to an older RS podcast where people couldn't check out in the morning because the owner was still asleep. .... Its best to clarify such things with a B&B. As Rick said, that's the difference between a big hotel and a B&B.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you decide to take the 05:25 Eurostar, you can easily get from Holland Park to St Pancras International by bus. Depart at 04:08 on bus N207 and get off at Oxford Circus. Transfer to bus 390 and take it to St Pancras International, arriving at 04:34. See the Route Planner on the Transport for London site, www.tfl.gov.uk.

Posted by
15016 posts

Tim is correct about the night bus....however.....I would not suggest taking it for the reason you originally asked. Walking from your B & B to Holland Park and then hanging around Oxford Circus waiting for a bus at 4 AM is probably not a great idea. You won't have a problem getting a taxi at 4 AM. You will pay slightly more for night rates but it will be worth it. Just make sure it is ordered the day before. I don't like to cut things too close so I would suggest a 4 AM taxi. And make sure your B & B knows..

Posted by
8700 posts

Even though I gave the bus route information, I'm with the others who think taking a taxi is a very good idea at that time of the morning.

Posted by
1010 posts

Definitely take a taxi. Allow a LOT OF TIME to check in for the Eurostar (at least an hour) You have to go through security and haul your own luggage up a ramp. Elaine

Posted by
33 posts

Ditto what Elaine said. We take the Tube everywhere that we can but, that early in the morning, take a taxi.

Posted by
463 posts

we took the 6:55 eurostar to paris and we took a cab. checking in for the eurostar takes as long as boarding a plane. plus, once you are through security, you're in a nice little area with comfy seats and a marks and spencer-you can read and have breakfast. i'd rather be early than late, no matter what the cost. have a great trip!