Please sign in to post.

London to Scotland

Has anyone taken a train to Scotland from London. Any suggestions ?? I'm thinking of going in October.

Posted by
317 posts

Many here would recommend the Caledonian Sleeper, if its in your budget.

Posted by
4684 posts

Whether sleeper trains are a good idea or not depends on whether you can sleep on moving vehicles. Some people just can't. A daytime trip by train will take up most of a day. If you're going to somewhere in eastern Scotland it's best to take the East Coast line. (www.eastcoast.co.uk) For western Scotland take the West Coast line (www.virgintrains.co.uk)

Posted by
72 posts

i just did this actually. I took a regular train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh. It was about 5 hours and not a whole lot to see. I took the caledonia sleeper coming back. Unless you're going all the way to inverness, I would say it's not worth it to get a compartment, because it it so short. By the time you get on the train and into bed you only get about 4 hours of sleep, and you arrive in the city really early in the morning. If that is your plan then it can work, but you can also just sit up in the train which is quite a bit less expensive. Hope this helps.

Posted by
3428 posts

We have done this often. But we often break up the journey by staying one or two nights in York. That makes each journey just over 2 hours and you get to see York! It is a great city.

Posted by
49 posts

Bill, We, wife and 2 daughters, did this last week. Nothing to it. Buy your tickets as soon as they go on sale for cheapist price. Try to sit on "east/right" side of train. We took Tube to Kings Cross then 11:00 train to Edinburgh. 390 miles – 4 hrs. While on the train, look for Alnwick castle – that is where HP learned to fly his broom, Berwick upon Tweed, and Durham cathedral and the bridges of Newcastle. Arrive in Edinburgh at 3:00. If it is not foggy you will be able to see the coastline. Good Luck,
Marty

Posted by
27 posts

We took the train from Kings Cross to Edinbourgh. Watch the pricing, we got a great rate going up there, but the return was going to be outrageous! It was alot less expensive to fly back to London on British Air. Also, we got to the train station about an hour early, absolutely no need to do that! We really enjoyed the train ride up there, it was nice to see the countryside and the time just flew by!

Posted by
1986 posts

We did something similar to Dana. Overnight sleeper train up to Edinburgh and then flew back to London from Glasgow. I was very comfortable on the train going up, slept enough. Woke up when it was just light and watched the scenery from the train window (we went east coast route). Flew back as my wife doesnt like trains- flight semed quick and efficient. I feel very safe recommending the overnight sleeper

Posted by
970 posts

The trip is about 4-1/2 hours to Edinburgh, and three more to Inverness. That's not much time to sleep. Besides, you won't see anything. I like the East Coast run. If you sit on the right, you'll get some nice coastal scenery about an hour out of Edinburgh. Suggestions to spend a couple of days in York on the way are well worth considering. It's a great place.

Posted by
891 posts

Depends if you are going to the East or West coast of Scotland. If you are going to the west coast you go to Glasgow and from there there are train and boat connections to the western isles (Skye, Arran, the Hebrides)as well as Oban, Loch Lomand, Glen Coe etc.). Virgin Rail trains leave Euston every hour and take 4.5 hours to get to Glasgow. Cost is about 40.50 pounds one way. I used Virgin some years ago, fast, clean and arrived on time. There are snack bars aboard, but recommend you hit the Marks and Spencer food shops usually found on every major station to stock up on a picnic for the journey. You can fly (BA, British Midland or Easyjet) but airport at Glasgow is outside the city. Train is easily the best way to go. Always remember taking the train to Scotland to visit my grandparents many years ago........and the great toasted teacakes British Rail used to serve! Days long gone.

Posted by
251 posts

Husband and I are taking the train from London to Edinburgh in September. We plan to stop in Newcastle to visit family for a few hours. I haven't purchased tickets yet. I was told to wait about 2 months out because of better rates. We're purchasing a one way since the second half of our trip will be in Scotland and then we'll fly home from Edinburgh. From what I've read on National Rail website, our best bet is to purchase 2 one ways - one ticket from London to Newcastle and then another from Newcastle to Edinburgh. I want some flexibility when it comes to our stay in Newcastle. We plan on leaving London early and arriving shortly after noon. Then we can visit with cousins and train on to Ediburgh that evening.