Please sign in to post.

London to oxford september 2013

Want to know the most convenient and cost efficient way to see Oxford from London. Planning spending one long afternoon there
Any ideas?

Posted by
16221 posts

the direct train from Paddington Stations takes 58 minutes. I see return tickets for as little as 14.50 GBP, bought in advance. I checked the National Rail website, but there may be better ones. Hopefully some of our UK friends will help out.

Posted by
4684 posts

I would recommend train. If you want a cheaper fare but to risk traffic jams there are two different bus companies between Oxford and London: Oxford Tube and Oxford Espress (yes, that's the correct spelling).

Posted by
3391 posts

We were in Oxford for 7 weeks a few summers back and I regularly took the Oxford Tube bus into central London. It was significantly cheaper and really didn't take too much more time than the train. I would always get off at the first stop that was closest to a tube station...it was about 45 - 60 minutes depending on traffic. I did make a conscious effort to avoid rush hour! The bus terminal in Oxford is right in the main part of town so that makes it really easy.

Posted by
970 posts

While the bus is a bit cheaper, it definitely takes more time, even when things are fine on the roads. Last time I used it, things weren't fine. We sat motionless for 45 minutes on the way back to London at a junction. Didn't see any evidence of an accident, so it may just have been evening traffic. Oxford's rail station is a few blocks off the town center. An easy walk. Definitely recommend spending at least one full day in Oxford.

Posted by
5326 posts

Day return on the coach ... £17. Day return on the train £23.50 but you can buy advance tickets each way tied to a specific train from £6.50.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all for your great input and advice. We will most probably be taking the TRAIN, Cheers!
Louis