Please sign in to post.

London Theater Tickets

What is the most advantageous way to purchase theatre tickets? We will be in London the first week of June.
thanks.

Posted by
3428 posts

It depends.... If you want to see a particular production, especially if it is fairly new and/or very popular, you'll want to purchase your tickets ahead of time (we've used Albemarle's of London, but have heard good things about TheatreMonkey, too).
If you have several shows you are willing to choose from, or if they are long running shows, then you can PROBABLY (but not absolutely certainly) get tickets on the day of at TKTS 1/2 price booth in Leciester Square or pick up day returns at the theatre itself.

Posted by
5804 posts

1) You can use the tkts booth in Leicester Squre to purchase tickets on the day of the performance for certain shows, often for half price. If you want to see what might be available check this website. It is d daily. www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/ 2) If there is a particular show that you want to see and it is not normally available from TKTS (e.g. War Horse), it is usually best to buy your tickets in advance. The website theatremonkey.com has a tremendous amount of information about shows including seating information and information on online agencies where you can buy tickets plus the fees they charge. When I buy in advance, I typically choose to collect the tickets at the box office.

Posted by
17 posts

Hi Kathy, I usually just walk in the front door of a theatre during the day and see what they have particularly if it's a popular show that you won't find at the half price ticket booth. I'm in Canada and I find even the full ticket prices are a steal compared to what I pay to see a show when it comes to Vancouver. Also another tip is that the theatres in London aren't very large unlike some theatres in North America so even a cheaper ticket at the back of the theatre isn't a bad view. I've also just bought online via Ticketmaster UK. In fact, I'm signed up to get their daily email and you can get some deals through that. Just pay by credit card and pick up at will call. I think you'll be fine whatever approach you take. CM

Posted by
1175 posts

If you want to see a popular show such as "Wicked" you'd best buy tickets in advance and print them out at home. We have really great seats for late April and dinner reservations already fixed. We have waited as some advise and often been left out when the house sells out. I'd advise going to Theatre Monkey and buying them right away. Going all the way to London and not getting to see the production you really want is not worth saving a few dollars IMHO.

Posted by
1986 posts

if there is something really popular or a "must see", I reserve in advance- have used Albermal(sp) before. However, it is always worth going to the TKTs booth and seeing what they have available, you can often find shows with well known actors and even TV stars in them. My preference is always to try for "english" shows rather than American imports

Posted by
117 posts

We bought our Wicked tickets for June already. Even full price the tickets are cheaper than the shows we saw in NYC half price.