Please sign in to post.

London theater

We will be in London for the month of August and then back again for a final week in September. We would very much like to take in some theater so need some suggestions. We have had "The 39 Steps" suggested...and it is a comedy so we could use a couple more ideas if you have seen something good. We prefer night times....not matinees and we are all seniors.

Thanks All,

Mollie

Posted by
518 posts

We saw Billy Elliott in NYC, but it is playing in London. If you do not know the theme, it concerns the conditions of the coal miners during a strike during Margaret Thatcher's time. The way of life for many was changed forever. If you go, be ready for in your face vulgar language by children and a theme involving homosexuality. None of that is just thrown in for shock effect though. That said, it is one of the most poignant and brilliantly performed shows we have seen. I would definitely go again.
We have seen Wicked in both London and NYC. While we liked it better in NYC, we enjoyed it both places. For that play, I recommend seats in dress circle rather than in the orchestra. A wide view of the stage is better.
Also, Le Mis is still showing in London. It was fantastic.

Posted by
2800 posts

The Lion King..we have seen this three times in London have loved it each time....Wicked is also great.

The Mousetrap, playing at St. Martin's Theatre is the longest running show in history, it is now in it's 58th year. I saw it in it's 25th year...I really enjoyed it..it's a great show.

Posted by
3428 posts

We Will Rock You! and Mama Mia! are both great shows. I have seen both multiple times in London. With the music of Queen and ABBA, they are true "rocking" shows. I've also heard great things about Wicked and Jersey Boys.

Posted by
571 posts

If you're looking for something British in theme, I recommend Oliver! at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. We got good but very inexpensive seats last October through tkts and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It just felt right watching a Dickens-based musical in London.

Posted by
248 posts

Billy Elliott was especially interesting recently with the "return" of Margaret Thatcher's party! The audience had some thoughts on the subject and the script had been slightly tweaked to be timely.
I also would like to recommend Avenue Q. I've seen it here in the States and saw it in London (a couple of hours after losing my billfold) and still laughed the entire time. Warning: it's a puppet show for adults only!

Lion King, Wicked, and Les Mis are all unbeatable in my opinion.

Posted by
215 posts

I would suggest something at the Globe, preferbly
Shakespeare. It is a fun change from the West End.
If you are all seniors, make sure you reserve seats rather than groundlings. I learned the hard way last time my old legs won't stand as long as they once could.

Posted by
250 posts

I loved The Mousetrap (Agatha Christie). My parents saw it in the 1960's, and we went together in 2004....great for all ages.

I really enjoyed seeing Shakespeare at the Globe. I agree, a seat is the best. I'd recommend getting a cushion (and I never pay for anything)....I learned how hard a seat (very narrow) can feel. And I"d buy a cushion the next time.

Posted by
1266 posts

Mollie - The 39 Steps is riotus. I would highly recommend Billy Elliot, Avenue Q, Les Mis, Wicked, Lion King, and Mousetrap.

Posted by
22 posts

I agree, the ticket booth in Leicester Square is the best way to purchase tickets. I liked The 39 Steps and about all the plays I have seen in London. Enjoy your trip,