Please sign in to post.

London Theater

My husband and I are leaving tomorrow for a week in London. We want to go to the theater and aren't sure what to see. Any suggestions? Last year we saw "Pricilla, Queen of the Desert." We prefer musicals, but are open to seeing a play. Thanks!

Posted by
1986 posts

There are weekly magazines available with "Whats on" in London. I look through those- also if I see a star I like I consider their plays strongly. And then- whats available at TKTS. Aim at British plays you have never heard of, its amazing how much fun you will have. There are also websites you can check- just Google London theatre. during winter in London we go to the theatre most nights

Posted by
409 posts

Can I suggest a show called "War Horse" which is currently showing at the New London Theatre? We absolutely loved this show (check out the trailer on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bni4QqSv4), then were stunned to go to Castle Combe two days later and find out that Steve Spielberg is there filming a movie based on the play. Very British and unique....

Posted by
3428 posts

We have seen We Will Rock You more than a dozen times . It is great. Especially if you grew up during the 70s. I've heard good things about Wicked,too.

Posted by
2775 posts

Mousetrap and/or The Lion King.....The Mousetrap is the longest running play in history..now in it's 58th year...The Lion King is fantastic~~the music is great...you won't be disappointed in seeing The Lion King

Posted by
1819 posts

I also recommend 39 Steps. (If it is still playing at the Criterion Theatre, there is a beautiful restaurant attached to the theatre. It's been a few years since we ate there, but the walls and/or ceiling was covered with intricate gilded mosaics.) I would also recommend Wicked, The Mousetrap, and Les Miserables if it is still playing.
I would not recommend Phantom-we have enjoyed it twice, but the third time in London (2008) it seemed as if they were digging pretty deep to find a cast. The whole production just seemed tired. I also am not a fan of The Lion King. The opening parade and the costumes are spectacular, but most of the music is very forgettable.

Posted by
375 posts

We thoroughly enjoyed "Oliver". The sets and costumes were imaginative and the music was good. The boy in the title role the night we were there was just a bit weak in the voice, but was adequate, and everyone else was great. Considering the story, it's a very good musical to see while in London.

Posted by
2023 posts

We are just back from London and saw Oliver and loved it. We had seen Les Miz, Phantom, and Wicked on previous trips and they were great as well.

Posted by
48 posts

Another vote for 39 Steps. We also thoroughly enjoyed The Railway Children at Waterloo Station. The stage is actually on one of the tracks with the seats on both sides. The logistics are amazing and include an historic steam train as part of the play.

Posted by
84 posts

Just got back and we saw "Deathtrap" which was excellent, and "Wicked" which was good, but there are other musicals I have enjoyed more. Just go to the TKTS booth and see what they have that jumps out at you.

Posted by
15576 posts

39 Steps was very good. Loved Deathtrap, humor and suspense together. Jeff Goldblum and Mercedes Ruehl were both excellent in Prisoner of Second Avenue.

Posted by
5 posts

Priscilla was a great choice, but why go to to an American musical in the UK? My vote is for WAR HORSE--a brilliant play and highly theatrical. No musical, but you will leave the theatre enriched and happy.

Posted by
31 posts

39 Steps is wonderful and very funny, thumbs up to that also. If you like Oscar Wilde, his play "An Ideal Husband" opens on the 10th in the west end. Here is the best site for theatre -
http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/, they run the half price ticket booth in Leicester Sq, and you can see a sampling of what is for sale there using: www.tkts.co.uk Friends and I saw "Design for Living" at The Old Vic and LOVED it. The theatre itself is lovely also. http://www.oldvictheatre.com/whatson.php?id=68 Have fun!

Posted by
3 posts

My 15 year old daughter and I saw Love Never Dies, the sequel to the Phantom. The storyline is quite farfetched (as expected) but there are some wonderful songs. The Adelphi is a quaint and comfortable theater.