Please sign in to post.

London Pubs

Please help my husbands bday on May 18th and he would like to do a bit of pub hopping to very traditional english corner pubs ( not so trendy & where neighbourhood locals gather) He would love to hit a couple of sing along like pubs. We just decided to do a quick trip to London, REALLY QUICK, only from May 17 ( morning arrival) to the 22nd. Staying at Best Western Shaftesbury Paddington Court.Which I actually am not sure what district that is called ? By Hyde park ( 5 or so minutes)
Can you help us plan an evening or late afternoon pub experiences? ( Ive checked Fancyapint site but I find its not clear how far away the pubs they list are from us)

Posted by
4684 posts

Sing alongs in London pubs? I bet nowadays only if they're staged for tourists.

Posted by
12 posts

Perhaps, there are no such things as a pub where people join in singing, but hey , we are from North America we have not any idea of such things now a days and we are in our 40's so perhaps we are outdated in our perceptions, but just thought we'd ask!

Posted by
9110 posts

I'm still scratching my head trying to think if I've seen a pub in the core in the last twenty years that isn't 'smart clothes only' or chained/corporate owned. How about some nice rural pubs? There'll be dogs. If you step on their tails they'd probably howl and you could join in.

Posted by
12 posts

Haha love the humour!
We dont necessary have to be right down in the central ( core of it all) areas ( but not to far to travel from the area we are in at night) Id like to avoid the trendy dress code pubs, we have enough of those here! And instead of stepping on a dog's tail my husband will just need to start singing and they always start howling!

Posted by
521 posts

Google tells me that the Golden Eagle in Marylebone has a pianist who leads the singing 3 times a week. Reviews suggest that the landlord is a miserable b***er though.

Posted by
9110 posts

Loud Irish joint in Soho. Don't know the street but its as though you were trying to walk in a straight line from Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square but have to wiggle a bit using the back streets. It's big and has a two-word name, the last being Irish. Never been in it, but you can hear it from down the block. It's maybe a mile and a half from Hyde Park Corner, mostly straight down Piccadilly until you hit Regent Street. Absolute end of contribution.

Posted by
332 posts

Don't tell anyone else about the Golden Eagle. It is my favorite London Pub, mostly because they serve my favorite beer, St. Austell's Tribute. Never had a problem with the barman, but he spends his time serving and cleaning instead of chatting. Have been there during the sing along a couple of times. They get some good singers. I don't think I have ever recognized a song. I would not sing along if I did, I have never hit the right note in my life. Ever.

Posted by
521 posts

> they serve my favorite beer, St. Austell's Tribute Chip, you clearly have discernment and good taste. I drank quite a lot of St. Austell Tinner's in a pub called the Plume of Feathers, at Prince Town on Dartmoor. I was camping at the back of the pub, in February, and the Tinner's certainly helped. It didn't keep me warm, it just made me care less about being cold.

Posted by
1021 posts

Use www.fancyapint.com to find good pubs. The Bunch of Grapes in Brompton Road is down the street from Harrods. We hadn't been in donkeys years, as the Brits say, but revisited it last month and found it's still good for food and drink.

Posted by
12172 posts

My personal approach is just to ask people to recommend a pub in the area. For your plan, maybe you should check out London Walks. They give highly rated walking tours - including pub walks: http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Home/London_Pub_Walks/default.aspx While they aren't going to be sing along (unless you come across drunk people in a sports teams' colors, which might be dangerous), they should take you to some historic pubs with the look and feel you're thinking of.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you so very much everyone! You all have added good info and made it very COLOURFUL and interesting! I guess the raising of the steins and the cheerful bursting forth in song, is only in the movies ! LOL!!!
Peace everyone!

Posted by
12040 posts

I don't have a specific recommendation for a pub... but if you want to sing, go to one while a soccer (sorry, I'm from North America, we have another game we call "football") match's on the TV. Be prepared for some rather bawdy lyrics.

Posted by
111 posts

you may want to check out Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street...rebuilt in 1667 I think the sign says... " scribes such as Voltaire, Dickens and Twain have all raised their drinking arms here. " from that fancyapint website...they have a table with a sign where Dickens used to sit...spot is worn out from all the people who have sat there!

Posted by
4684 posts

The authentic pub pastimes in the UK nowadays are watching football on TV and pub quizzes. If you take part in the latter, be warned that some people are very serious about it.

Posted by
2775 posts

The Swan Pub, 66 Bayswater across the street from Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park a two minute walk from Lancaster Gate tube station and The Churchill Arms on Church St a few minute walk from Nottinghill Gate tube station.

Posted by
337 posts

Coincidentally, I just heard from my cousin who lives in London that the Duke of Kendal pub has a singalong every Sunday! 38 Connaught Street, near Marble Arch. Cheers!

Posted by
993 posts

My favorite pub is still The Sherlock Holmes on Northumberland St just off Trafalgar SQ. I was not aware of it being trendy nor did anyone burst into song. I have met some nice people there tho..