Please sign in to post.

London Pass?

I was all ready to purchase the 7 day with travel London card for my husband and I for our 9 day trip to London in July. It seemed like the best for us since we have never been and want to try and see as many sights as possible without worrying about cards/tickets/lines etc. Now after reading the posts , I'm totally confused.. Is it still a good deal or not.
Thanks,

Posted by
291 posts

Most people cannot make the London Pass work for them from a financial perspective and there is a tendency if you use the London Pass to end up in the places covered by the scheme rather than where you want to go. A lot of people find it worthwhile purely for the convenience and avoiding queues at some of the more popular destinations. From a budgetary perspective you are probably going to better off getting a 7 day Travelcard and do your own thing.
If you can get your Travelcard from a railway station all the better as you will then qualify for 2 for 1 admission to Tower of London, London Eye etc. At the end of the day, best just get a blank piece of paper, write down first where yu want to go and at what pace then cost out London pass v the natives and factor in your value you put in for the convenience of a single ticket solution. Note quite a few places on the London Pass are in my view misleading. All major art galleries and museums in London are free, the London Pass only gets you discounts on optional special exhibitions etc in these places.

Posted by
342 posts

Sheryl, Bob hit the nail on the head regarding the London Pass. Before our first trip to London, my husband and I determined the sights we had to see and added up the entry fees. Then we compared that figure with the cost of the London Pass to see which was the better value. For that first trip the Pass worked out slightly cheaper, and I liked the idea of not having to wait in long lines for tickets. We're traveling back again for the third time this fall, and with what we plan on seeing this time, individual entry fees will be alot cheaper for us, and the lines aren't really that bad. Regarding the travel portion, I think you'll do better with pay-as-you-go Oyster cards, or separate 7-day travelcards from either the Underground or the Rail (train) system, instead of tacking it on to the London Pass if you decide to get it. Check out the 2-for-1 deals available with the purchase of rail issued travelcards at www.daysoutguide.co.uk Both types of travelcards cover the same modes of transportation, but only the ones purchased at train stations, not tube stations, qualify for the special discounts. Have a great trip.

Posted by
1152 posts

Sheryl, everyone's experience differs a bit, but for us the pass did not work out. I don't remember waiting in lines as that big a deal. I can't remember whether the pass let us skip the lines or merely meant the ticket was paid for after we stood in line to get it. Maybe someone else can help out. If you're confused and this is causing a problem, my advice is to forget the pass. If you save anything, it likely is only a small amount. Not worth the trouble worrying about it. Just forget it and buy some type of travel card (oyster, etc.) when you get there.