Please sign in to post.

London Pass

I realize there has been much talk on this site re: the London pass, but I am confused as the london pass website says it includes Westminster Abbey, and London Eye, but on Page 16 of RS 2011 guide book, it says it does not. If I am planning to do the following, does it make sense to purchase the 3 day pass with travel. Tower of London – Westminster – Windsor castle – Shakespeare theater – Churchill
Imperial war museum Thanks Mark

Posted by
571 posts

Mark,
The trick with the London Pass is to read carefully on their site just what they claim is covered and wherever possible compare the "savings" to what is listed on the sites' own websites. For example, the Imperial War Museum has free admission, so if you don't want to go to the "Once Upon a Wartime" children's stories special exhibit, you aren't saving a penny there. Likewise with the National Portrait Gallery. For other sites you genuinely do save the entrance fee, including (as far as I know) the places you list. By my math, your itinerary costs about 76.5 pounds normally and your pass would cost 72 pounds for three days. You save only a few quid and might lose if, for example, you find three days isn't enough time to get out to Windsor. On the other hand, if you fit it all in plus a few other sites along the way (Old Operating Theatre, Household Cavalry Museum, etc.) you might do well. I recommend that you get the pass only if you at minimum break even on your "must dos" and if you are possibly going to do more. I do not see the London Eye on the pass website. Plan the order of your sites carefully because you'll have to fit 2-3 sites per day into your plan in order generally to make the pass pay off.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you. I meant the Tower of London and not the London eye on what Rick Steeves mentions as not part of the London Pass. Your comments are helpful.

Posted by
571 posts

For what it's worth, I found the Great British Heritage Pass useful during my last trip to England, but mostly for outside of London. The London Pass wasn't useful to me, but then I wasn't seeing the "biggies" in London on my last trip. It's possible it would pay off for you. I've never used the travel options some of the passes have, but if you search previous threads on this board, you'll find many people advising against it and suggesting alternative travel options (usually just the plain Oyster Card) instead.
Happy planning! London is my favorite city in the world (4 trips in past 10 years)

Posted by
5 posts

We just came back from London and used the London pass for entrance into Westminster and Tower of London. The pass does not cover the Eye. We loved St. Paul Catherdal which is also on the pass.

Posted by
332 posts

London Passes are 10% off via www.visitlondon.com/, costing £64.80 instead of £72 for the 3 day pass. If there are two of you traveling together the cheapest deal is with the Days Out 2 for 1 offer: www.daysoutguide.co.uk. The attractions you list are £76.50 with no discount, £64.80 with the 3 day London Pass, and £54.50 with the Days Out discounts.

Posted by
635 posts

You've got to be an extremely busy sightseer to justify the British Heritage or London Pass. The only way to know is to do the math and make sure it's still worth buying if you might miss a sight or two. There are many "errors" in the Rick Steves' books. Some sections aren't updated every year and some things change after the final editing/updating has been done. I've noticed this year that admission prices and B&B rates are almost always just a bit higher than what is in his 2011 GB book. Budget cuts and higher taxes are filtering through the economy.