Please sign in to post.

London Pass

I'm thinking of purchasing a London Pass with Travel for my trip to London in May. Is this a legit. pass or are the hidden restrictions, pitfalls, etc. Sounds like a decent deal but would like input from those that have used the Pass.
Thanks

Posted by
635 posts

It's a legitimate pass but very pricey. Do your homework about which sites are covered and what the regular admission is without the pass. Many "name" sites are included. Unfortunately, I have decided you really have to bunch up the sites covered by the pass and do them in one or two days to make it worth the price. Even then, the London Pass is pretty marginal. The Great Britain Heritage Pass seems a slightly better deal for a busy traveler. Unfortunately, few London sites are included. St Paul's is covered but that seems to be the only "biggie."

Posted by
888 posts

I think I'm the only one on this helpline that came ahead on the pass. We bought it and used it and saved money. In addition to admission, you get discounts in food courts, etc. Do try the one at Hampton Court Palace. We ate in front of the fireplace. But as suggested, do your homework. Where do you want to go and in how many days, and then check that against the cost of the pass. There are also the two-for-one deals (through the rail system and not London Pass), so look into those as well to see if they will work for you.

Posted by
8700 posts

Many of the major tourist sights in London are free. The London Pass will only save you money if you dash madly from one site to another that charges admission. And there are 2-for-1 deals through National Rail that cover many popular sights, including the Tower of London. IMO, the transportation option with the London Pass is never a good deal. It covers zones 1-6 and most of the major tourist attractions are in zones 1-2. Buy an Oyster card or a travelcard for zones 1-2. You'll save money by paying for individual tickets to get back and forth to Heathrow (zone 6). In order to know which would be best for you, please answer these questions: 1. How many days will you be in London? 2. Will you be traveling alone or with at least one other person?

Posted by
571 posts

What Ken said. That was my experience as well. (London Pass bad, GB Heritage Pass ok if you plan well.) One thing I noticed when I compared the pass to paying out of pocket for entry fees is that the Pass website sometimes lists sites that are free entry. (The pass usually gets you a free audio guide or something like that, but you're saving nothing on admission since it was no cost to begin with.) It purposefully makes the pass look like a better deal than it really is.