Please sign in to post.

London Pass

We are planning a visit to London in August and haven't seen recent posts about the London Pass. Would appreciate any feedback about this option.
Thank you very much in advance for your advice!!!

Posted by
1829 posts

The London Pass is not usually regarded as good value for money. A lot of the sites listed are Tier 2 and below. Also quite a few (eg major museums and galleries) are free. You have to do quite a bit of running around each day to "get your money back". This spreadsheet, which was drawn up by a contributor to the London Forum on Tripadvisor, helps you to work out the best deal for the sites you may want to visit. It compares the cost of the London Pass with using the 2 for 1 ticket deals that are also available. I'm afraid it's a case of doing the math! https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApAT6ZYPYl1ndFVwOUxpMVl5NHZITHI1NFJyQlBNSHc&hl=en#gid=0 The travel pass sold with the LP is not good value for most visitors because they rarely need to travel outside Zones 1 & 2 of the public transport system in London.

Posted by
888 posts

We found the London Pass to be a good value. With that said, however, only you can decide whether it would be a good value for you. Simply decide how many days you would need the pass for, add up all the places you would like to visit, and then compare that against the pass. Even though the museums in London are free, the many other attractions (several of which are top attractions and not "tier 2") are not free and most are covered by the pass. The pass also allows you to skip lines (i.e., Tower of London) and you get discounts (i.e., food purchases, such as at Hampton Court Palace). You can get info for what is covered and the costs at the London Pass website (Google it). I would agree that if you do get the pass, do not purchase it with the travel option as that is not a good value at all. Simply get an Oyster card or some other travel pass.
Also if you get the pass, wait to purchase it in London. No need to get it ahead of time.

Posted by
21 posts

Actually, if you are planning on purchasing the Pass w/ travel, it is only available online (so states the London Pass website). If you just want the pass, you can get it there. For me, my time is too limited to buy it and pick it up there, so I plan to order ahead and have it shipped. I feel it is well worth the 6 Pounds for shipping (5.95 to be exact), but that is certainly an individual decision. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you so much for your helpful advice.
Appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge!!!