Please sign in to post.

London Pass

Is it a good idea to get the London pass for a party of six that will be visiting for 3 days?

Posted by
8700 posts

IMO, the London Pass is not a good deal. You would have to run around like crazy to get your money's worth. And transportation is cheaper if you pay for it independently. For only three days, buying Oyster cards and loading them with pay-as-you go pounds would be cheaper than buying three one-day travelcards. For a comparison between Oyster cards and travelcards offered by Transport for London, see this page on the London Toolkit site. Many major museums in London are free. For places you go that aren't free, just buy tickets at the door. Or take advantage of the 2-for-1 offers from National Rail that come with buying paper travelcards at a National Rail station (not a Tube station). Those cards cost the same as TFL cards and cover all forms of public transportation in London. You must provide a passport-sized photo. To see all the 2-for-1 offers and to print vouchers for the ones that interest you, go to www.daysoutguide.co.uk.

Posted by
77 posts

Thank You for the very useful information

Posted by
332 posts

There is no need to provide a photo to buy one day TravelCards from a National Rail station. The photos are only needed for 7 day or longer TravelCards from National Rail stations. For couples, the Days Out 2 for 1 offers are almost always a better value than the London Pass. http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ These are two for one offers, not half off offers. Solo travelers are out of luck.

Posted by
5 posts

Tell me if I am wrong, please. We are going for a longer stay in London and are 3 adults. I was thinking of doing the London Pass and my thinking was as follows: I would do the 3 day Pass events on the 3 days and save the non pass events for the other days. It would give us the opportunity to run into a place and see just the highlights, and move on, not feeling like we needed to get our money's worth. On the 3 day, we could do 2 major events in a day, and if we did 6 in 3 days we would get our money's worth.
Not sure about the add on travel component. Thoughts?

Posted by
635 posts

I keep saying the same thing about passes everywhere "DO THE MATH." You need to look at what's covered by the pass and look at what you will be able to see during the duration you feel is appropriate. That means looking at admittance fees. The London Pass says it will get you into free museums but you don't save any money and no one will ask to see your pass to get in. Don't include those sites and certainly don't visit them during your pass days. You have to carefully schedule your days and include the transportation time. Personally, I bought a 2 day pass for a 5 day London visit a couple of years ago. It was a savings of about 20 gbp each. We also had a very busy couple of days which was stretching my wife's patience. I also once bought 6 day Paris museum passes which were a giant winner. We saw most of Paris' museums and revisited some. In general, longer passes are easier to justify. In all cases you must look at all of the possibilities carefully.

Posted by
1 posts

I am at Ibis close Euston station, but I couldn't find the National Rail Travelcard on that station. Where should I go in order to buy it? Thanks.

Posted by
32745 posts

Either at the London Midland booking office at the bottom of the ramp at platforms 8 to 11, or the Virgin Trains booking office on the left side of the station as you go in the front door - the area is all red. You want to ask for a zone x and y Travelcard, probably zone 1 and 2 Travelcard unless you really need lots beyond the Circle Line. Don't go downstairs to the Underground booking office or the TravelCards won't be valid on the Days Out scheme.