Please sign in to post.

London Markets

Can you suggest where at least 2 or 3 GREAT London Markets are ? By Market we mean , various wares, open air market ( perhaps) with performers and eateries etc? We only really have a couple of days to hit a couple or even 1 good one. Our time is sooooo very short in London , really only 5 days ( may 17- May 22) . So excited but a tad concerned we might miss seeing some top markets where lots of locals hang We are by the Hyde Park Paddington area.
Thanks so very much!

Posted by
4684 posts

The most famous one is Borough Market near London Bridge railway station. It is good but beware that it gets extremely crowded on Saturdays.

Posted by
521 posts

Camden Lock. It's huge, very diverse, lots of different kinds of food stalls as well as clothes, "antiques", books, etc, etc. I was there on a freezing cold Saturday afternoon a couple of months ago and it was swarming with people, literally thousands of them. I was kidding my daughter that we seemed to be the only normal ones there, apart from the overseas tourists, because many of the 'locals' seemed to have tattoos, body piercings and alarmingly large hair, but I wasn't kidding that much. You could also try Portbello Road, which is more of a traditional London street market. Saturdays only, I think.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you Kevin and Phillip for your replies, very helpful!

Posted by
215 posts

My wife and I favor Portebello which is on Saturdays. It is traditional and has an older crowd. My kids all prefer Camden which has a much more
youthful feel and crowd. Thus your age and interests may be a detemining factor.

Posted by
3428 posts

Greenwich has an excellent market on Sundays. You can also enjoy the park- it is very, very nice for a stroll. Covent Garden has different vendors each day. Antiques one day, crafts another, etc. We enjoy it- good buskers (performers), too and some nice restaurants.

Posted by
9100 posts

My favorites are Bourogh Market; less crowded on Friday mornings. And Spitalfields and nearby Brick Lane markets on a Sunday Morning.

Posted by
180 posts

Borough Market is primarily a food market. Portobello is good but crowded with tourists. I like Spitalfirlds. By far one of the best markets I have been to is in St Albans on Wed or Saturday. This market has it all - food, clothing, hats, underwear, frames, household goods - you name it. This is probably my hands down favorite plus St Albans is such a charming town. I realize you might not have time for it on this trip but it really is an authentic experience.

Posted by
15582 posts

Borough Market - there's also a lovely church next door. Get a toasted cheese sandwich - the best I've ever eaten. But go through the market first, many vendors offer/encourage tasting. Once you've eaten the cheese toast you won't be able to do any tasting. Check in advance, the market isn't open every day. Google it. There's a website that shows all the vendors, which days they are there, and maps.

Posted by
521 posts

The lovely church that Chani mentions is Southwark Cathedral, where John Harvard was baptised in 1600-and-something. He later endowed an American university which is quite well known... In Borough Market, seek out New Forest Cider. Their farm is 500 metres from my house and in autumn we can smell the apples from here. It's strong stuff, very strong

Posted by
993 posts

I love the Borough Market too and it should be open the days you are there. For performers I'd sayCovent Garden...

Posted by
964 posts

Borough Market is really 'the biz'. If you'd like to see some photos, I have some on the front page of my blog at www.maggiesmagicpantry.blogspot.com
Go early in the day and graze your way around on the free samples. Enjoy!

Posted by
964 posts

Borough Market is really 'the biz'. If you'd like to see some photos, I have some on the front page of my blog at www.maggiesmagicpantry.blogspot.com
Go early in the day and graze your way around on the free samples. Enjoy!